Scuba diving in Asia forum

dive master internship - Thailand

• gillian1989

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2009

I'm planning on doing my Dive Masters certification in Thailand in February. I have lots of time to complete the certification and am liking the idea of prolonging the internship because the lifestyle sounds like something i could get used to. I've looked into a few different companies on different islands: koh tao, koh samui, koh phi phi and in the similan islands. some internships last 2 months, others 5 or 6 and the prices seem to vary. seems like some places have you more as a student for the duration of the program and others have you helping more with work so it's a bit cheaper. I already have my Open Water Certification and I don't want to be spending the whole time in a really touristy place where the diving is overrated. (I know it's Thailand and it's all beautiful, but still). Any recommendations for dive companies that are a good bargain (i am on a backpacker budget!) but still have a good enough repitation? anyone done a dive masters internship in Thailand and have any tips for me? there are soooo many companies to look into and i'm a little lost! some friendly help and guidance would be MUCH appreciated!!!!

#1 Posted: 12/12/2009 - 21:03

• Advertisement

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

I am a dive instructor and I live and work on Koh Tao.....so let me give you some guidance on prices and what you should expect etc.....

The dive sites on the east coast are centred around Koh Tao and the furthest away is around 40 mins. If you dive from Koh Samui you will travel to koh tao dive sites so it make more sense to stay on koh tao...the dive shops are busier and you will get more experience and have a greater exposure to a wider number of instructors and teaching styles.

The following prices are based on koh tao...west coast (PP and Similans are more expensive)

Advanced Course 8500B
    Rescue and EFR 13,500B
    DM inc Materials 30,500B
    Simple accommodation 5000-6000B per months

These are the basic simple costs....lots of places package these up and include a few extras and this is why you are having trouble comparing packages!

At our dive centre we offer a free internship once you are qualified as a dive master. This allows you to complete valuable work expereince whilst still have qualified instructors feedback on your skills and develop your techniques as you work. However I think by internship you are refering to working off some of your course fees. Im afraid you will not find this available in Thailand as the course prices are some of the cheapest you will find. I believe you will find it in Vietnam and in Australia but the work that you end up doing to pay off your fees is usually menail work not diving related work.

The weather and conditions on the west coast will be fine until around March when monsoon hits, monsoon on the east coast should be November however we havent really had it this year. This is good news as the conditions are amazing for this time of year...ans as its will only improve it looks like we are in for some fab conditions all the way though to next monsoon now! We had a whaleshark a few days ago, we see the most in March April and May.

You could go and check a few places out ...maybe do your advanced course in one place, your rescue in another and a few fun dives here and there and choose your centre that way .....you dont have to book before hand !!! If you are flexible and happy to travel around a bit then head out here and have a look !

Keep intouch as I am happy to help with any more questions or advice !!

Ayesha

#2 Posted: 15/12/2009 - 20:41

• gillian1989

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2009

hey ayesha,

thanks so much for your help! i've still been looking around but it seems to me that actually arriving and being my own judge might just be the best idea. as far as the itnernships go, if I am to show up in high season what are my chances of getting accepted (if this is the way the system works)? i guess there are a lot of shops on koh tao but still, i'm wondering if i'd be leaving it to late. and also, since you've been diving there for a while, is it true that the marine life is becoming damaged from all the tourists over the years? i kind of got the vibe koh tao's beautiful reputation was withering away because of all the human disruption. may i ask what dive centre you work for? because a free internship sounds good to me if i'm going for my divemaster's anyways. thanks again for all your advice! keep in touch,

gill

#3 Posted: 18/12/2009 - 20:07

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

hi there !

At our dive centre the internship is a continuation - a free extra bit if you like - of the course (Dive Master) that you have just completed with us, so its not really a case of being accepted for it ... you just carry on.

In terms of the reefs, this isnt a koh tao phenomenon, its something that is happeneing underwater all over the world. Humans have a huge impact on the underwater world and everyone, diver or not needs to take steps to help preserve this fragile environment. There are many conservation projects in place here on koh tao and regular reef and beach clean ups too.

I work through a dive centre called Master Divers but I have my own website too which is packed full of info on everycourse you need to take. www.learntodiveonkohtao.com

#4 Posted: 19/12/2009 - 12:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Dive master courses ... By photosyntheze on 1 Oct 2012 0 1385 1 Oct 2012