Scuba diving in Asia forum

Surfing & Diving - Phillipines or Indonesia?

• EmilAndersen

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009

Hi.

I'm travelling to SouthEast Asia at March 2th to June 5th, with my girlfriend.
    We are planning on spending 2 months travelling in Laos, Vietnam and Borneo. The last month we would like spending on surfing, partying and diving. But we not sure what place would be the best choise, Indonesia or Philliphines. If you have some suggestions, we would love to hear, and some experiences could be nice too.

- Emil

#1 Posted: 30/12/2009 - 18:22

• Advertisement

• humpdawg

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009

Hey Emil.

Don't know too much about diving but I do know that Indonesia is one of the best surf spots in the world. Has loads of breaks for people of all levels. I'm planning a trip in a while, island hopping for about 3 months taking in Sumatra & the Mentawais, Java, Bali, Lombok and Nusa Tenggara. All of them have surf. Do a bit of research on these websites -

magicseaweed.com
    surfing-waves.com
    surf-forecast.com
    globalsurfers.com

The last one gives a good overview of the spot you choose. Check out Mui Ne in Vietnam too.

Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.

Have fun.

#2 Posted: 31/12/2009 - 03:51

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

The diving in Western Flores, Indonesia is supposed to be excellent and it's an easy trip from Bali. Lots of liveaboards available.

#3 Posted: 31/12/2009 - 10:36

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

hi,
    Having dived in both Philippines & Indonesia I would have to say Indonesia has the edge, but that doesn't mean Philippines is all bad. The coral around Flores is fantastic! There is also a great local boat trip (that means open decked where you eat & sleep, no cabins or showers for that matter!)from the Gillis to Flores, which also stops by Komodo Island, (of dragons fame), but no diving only snorkelling if you have your own gear.

Flores has some great diving albeit with strong currents, and Bali is fair & the Gillis are good too. But, eh, if you are in Borneo it has tremendous dive sites, like Sipadan (but much, much more expensive than either Indo of Philippines).
    The world,as they say, is your oyster!
    You can email me if you would like more info
    Mike

#4 Posted: 2/1/2010 - 00:33

• divejunkie

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010

Hi,

I dont surf but am a diver. If you go to Nusa Tenggara, you can surf in Sumbawa, the spot name is Hu'u, you can fly from Bali to Bima (about 40min from Denpasar).Then you can dive in Komodo National Park. Am not sure though there is a flight from Bima to Labuan Bajo. You can do live aboard from Labuan Bajo to explore Komodo National Park, diving there is superb!

Partying is in Bali! But if you just wanna stay in Bali only, you can do surf, dive and party :-)

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

#5 Posted: 6/4/2010 - 21:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Diving in Indonesia ... By bradmcfc81 on 28 Jul 2010 15 3890 24 Sep 2011
10 days Indonesia incl. diving? ... By wanderingirish on 2 Jul 2013 3 833 9 Jul 2013