Scuba diving in Asia forum

August Diving in Thailand for a newbie

• walkingtrees

Joined Travelfish
    25th January, 2010

Hi, I'm interested in trying my hand in diving while I'll be in Thailand solo, for the month of August. Can anyone start off with some info for me? Ko Tao? Thanks!

#1 Posted: 9/2/2010 - 10:43

• Advertisement

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Hi at that time of year you might be best off on the east coast of Koh Tao. Have a look at black tip idc resort. Might be what your looking for.
    cheers

http://www.blacktipdiving.com/

I found them very good a number of years ago

#2 Posted: 9/2/2010 - 12:30

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

Hi there !

I live and work on Koh Tao as a dive instructor! There are many places to choose from here - over 40 centres. This can make your choice overwhelming but it also means that you are very likely to find a dive centre that suits you. I recently wrote an article about this and you may find the tips and pointers useful.....

http://learntodiveonkohtao.com/choosing-where-to-do-your-open-water-course

Have a read through and get back to me with more questions - Im happy to help wherever you choose to learn to dive!

Ayesha

#3 Posted: 10/2/2010 - 15:11

• stevejames00

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2009

from the link that swag gave whats the difference between the PADI scuba diver course that costs 7100baht and the open water that costs 11,000?

What is the average cost of a PADI course?

#4 Posted: 11/2/2010 - 01:45

• ayesha

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about ayesha
    Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location Thailand

Hi there !

The average cost of the PADI Open Water Course is 9800B on Koh Tao.

The Scuba Diver Course is a certification that limits you to 12m and always diving with an instructor or divemaster. People usually take this if they do not have time to complete the full course or fall sick before completion. Its a great course for children too. The simplist way to describe the coure is that is half of the Open Water Course however this can be topped up to full open water. This is around 6800B.

The Open Water Course is your full initial certification that will allow you to dive to 18m with your buddy.

Ayesha

#5 Posted: 11/2/2010 - 17:27

• alisha66

Joined Travelfish
    4th January, 2011

World class diving with the plenty of big stuff. Ko lanta in Thailand is home to some fantastic diving. It is also a photographer's paradise. Whale sharks and manta rays can sometimes be seen at Hin Daeng and Hin Muang which also have the deepest drop offs in the Thailand. If you are looking adventure destinations, it is one of them. Scuba diving is more then just a sport.

#6 Posted: 4/1/2011 - 17:10

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.