Australia forum

Lounge Access option at airport

• Mexi736

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2013

Come to know about Lounge access option with optiontown where passenger can access
    to the airport lounge. Is anybody have used the services.

#1 Posted: 21/2/2013 - 03:51

• Advertisement

• Hazel_87

Joined Travelfish
    14th May, 2013

I always wanted to sit in that luxurious Business Lounges. tell me something more.

#2 Posted: 14/5/2013 - 01:56

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

They are not so luxurious as you might think. It is just a room with some seats and sometimes a buffet with drinks and snacks. Lots of stressed people in there :-) Don't confuse them with things like Concord room or stuff like that.

It depends on the airline. As a frequent flyer of Etihad (I have silver) I can access als Etihad lounges worldwide. For non card holders you have to pay 50 € to get access in Frankfurt for example. In Abu Dhabi you can go to Al Reem lounge and I think there you can pay for access also, but it is not worth the money you spend. Yesterday I had a business class flight back from Abu Dhabi so I had lounge access in their premier lounge. But the Al Reem and the Etihad lounge are quite similar, I would say the Al Reem lounge was even slightly better than the Etihad in Terminal 1.

So either you buy a business class ticket, or your are a frequent flyer (Etrihad has the best program), else you have to pay for lounge access. Usually you can not go to the dedicated business class lounges without OK from the airline, so without business class ticket or frequent flyer status you have to look for third party lounge operators which offer access for everybody. The fee is approx 30 to 100 € depending on the lounge. Except the Etihad Lounge in Frankfurt as I mentioned, but 50 € is alot of money.

#3 Posted: 14/5/2013 - 02:35

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Since this topic seems to attract some attention, here some more information about these mysterious luxurious lounges.

I have been to these business class lounges: British Airways, Etihad, Al Reem, Cathay Pacific, American Airlines
    And First Class Lounge: Thai Airways

But in the end it is more or less all the same. The airlines put great effort in advertising their lounges as pure luxury and great comfort. In the end it is nothing more than a room with a couple of more or less comfortable chairs, couches and tables. They offer a selection of snacks and drinks. I know that some advertise a la card dining, but I have never seen that one.

So basically the lounges are quite similar to a better cafe or restaurant in the airport. The food you get is quite basic. usually a selction of white bread with cheese or ham and some snacks like small pastries. For lunch they sometimes offer a choice of 2 hot dishes. So it depends a little of the time you are in the lounge. The drinks are usually quite the same. Wine, Champagne and a selection of liqueurs.

My best experience was in the Cathay Pacific lounge. They had some very nice starters and a selection of good sandwiches. The white wine was one of my favorite Kloster Lorch Riesling. Great wine!

So in the end, it is a nice treat for frequent flyer in economy and a little comfort on top for the business class guests. But considering you have to pay 50 € for the entrance to the lounge I would say that you can spend the money better in any restaurant. Like in Frankfurt, you can get a massage for 20 € and with the remaining 30 € you can have a nice meal and you sit in a nice environment. Better than in most lounges.

Only real benefit is the shower most of the lounges offer. After a working day, when you have a flight of 6 or 12 hours, it is really a treat if you can have a relaxing shower before your flight.

#4 Posted: 15/5/2013 - 02:17

• Mexi736

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2013

I completely agree that the lounge facility differ with the airport. But lounge access is a good option if you have to wait for your next flight at the airport. In the lounge you can Relax and Avoid the crowds at the terminal. I would like to share something which is very new and unique, few days back i visited Optiontown's website (www.optiontown.com) which is an airline company and they are partners with 12 airlines. They have unique travel option, you must visit their website. I read about one of their travel option is "Lounge Access Option" where you just need to pay a nominal amount of EUR 29 for Lounge. ALL IN ONE ITS WORTH USING.

#5 Posted: 15/5/2013 - 07:08

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

If you wanna spend 29 EUR or not is up to you, but inside the lounge it is sometimes as busy as in other waiting areas. No guarantee that you get a seat, sometimes you have to share with several people too.

So with 29 EUR you can get yourself a treat at Hippo Bar at Abu Dhabi airport, or in the bars inside Terminal 2 in Frankfurt. Don't know about Bangkok, because I have never used a bar or cafe there.

Maybe one should do it once to see how it is. It is like flying business class. One has to do it once in life to see if it is worth the money or if you go with the compromise that it is only a flight of 6 hours. So for the price of 1 business class ticket you can go 3 times in economy.

Hard to give advice. I love the business class, but I would never pay for lounge access.

#6 Posted: 15/5/2013 - 07:47

• Duxnuts

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2013

I think the lounge access is only worth it if you are flying regularly with the same airline. I fly domestic with QANTAS a lot so I buy the QANTAS Club membership. I also like to arrive early so it is worth it to be able to sit down and relax and get some food and a drink.

Purchasing lounge access for a day doesn't seem worth it to me.

#7 Posted: 10/7/2013 - 02:22

• Mexi736

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2013

Completely agree if you are a frequent traveler, then you should go for club membership. You may get the lounge access at a low price. but in case if you travels once in a 3 month or so and then you must try the lounge access for some good food and drinks at the airport before you departs for you destination. This is what I do when i fly in business class after getting upgrade from economy class to business at discount of 75 % from Optiontown.com , save money on business class and purchase Lounge access from the same company. because sometime we should treat our self special. I recommend to you all. Give it try.

#8 Posted: 10/7/2013 - 04:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
BKK airport- great tranfer lounge ... By boleslav on 19 Jan 2010 0 1056 19 Jan 2010
Hat Yai airport-- a good access to south islands? ... By maliamaui on 13 Aug 2008 5 4595 14 Aug 2008
1 night, 2 days in BKK - where to stay with easy access to airport & centre. ... By jessyb on 3 Aug 2014 2 321 3 Aug 2014