Australia forum

Working and Living in Australia

• mawer_9

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2013

Good afternoon everybody!

I was looking for some advice if possible for when my girlfriend and I arrive in Australia. We will of been travelling in SE Asia prior to arriving in Sydney (we have friends here) and will then be looking to work and if possible, rent our own place.

I understand what most people do is ensure they have their working visa, and then sign up to agencies. I know Sydney will be expensive but we would like our base to be here, or the outskirts. We will of course travel to other places when time and money allows.

However, any advice on ways to go about finding somewhere to stay, costs, if its possible at all would be greatly appreciated. Similarly, any information about work would be also.

Apologies if you have seen similar questions before.

Chris

#1 Posted: 19/3/2013 - 08:37

• Advertisement

• stefanw

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2010

I think it depends where you're from for visa etc. Some people work illegally but that would be mostly farm or odd job work. Seek.com.au, jobsearch.gov.au, jobs.com.au should help.

Also if you are under 21 (i think) in some states you dont have to be paid minimum wage. It will be slightly lower. I think you would want a job that allows for time off for travel.

#2 Posted: 28/3/2013 - 05:21

• BackpackinG-
    uru

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2013

Hi Chris,

The good news is that it is pretty easy to find places to rent and work in Australia. Note that apartments will require you to place a bond, so do ensure that you arrive with a bit of money (the amount varies greatly but you will want about $1,000 - $1,500 for a bond for an apartment). It will be cheaper for you to just rent a room in a house, it will still require a bond, but it won't be as much. The best place to look for people who are advertising for housemates is Gumtree http://www.gumtree.com.au/

As for work, the economy in Australia is booming and so you shouldn't have any problems as long as you are open minded about the work that you do - for advice about securing a job check out this article - http://www.backpacking-spirit.com/finding-work-when-travelling.html

Best of luck!

Emma

#3 Posted: 6/4/2013 - 06:11

• thetravelle-
    r02

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2013

Hey Chris, I've found this free travel info pack you can download on WHV in Australia. Check it out, www.travelbeyondboundaries.com/workinoz.html

Cheers

The traveller02

#4 Posted: 11/4/2013 - 04:19

• mawer_9

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2013

Thanks for the help and advice everyone!

#5 Posted: 11/4/2013 - 04:55

• susee

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2013

Hey I am Susee From Sydney Australia. I live in a special town of Sydney and here rentals can start at au $1,300 for a 1 bedroom apartment house to au$18,000 plus which is a inexpensive good deal a week for a home in the location I live in. You can rent a home in the south west approximately East Hills or in the Rockdale district from approximately au $500 to au $900 for seven day or a week. As all of the world Sydney is one of the beautiful and very expensive city's in the world to live in. All the district around Sydney are all really good and the civil transportation is dazzling. So you can store around and find a good agreement. When you achieve get a long lease as they will put the rent cost up at the end of a lease.

#6 Posted: 30/7/2013 - 07:34

• PeterMFL

Click here to learn more about PeterMFL
    Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2013

You can easily find work in restaurants or cafes though the pay won't be very good...

#7 Posted: 27/9/2013 - 02:55

• tinab

Joined Travelfish
    2nd October, 2013

Hey mawer_9,

You might want to check different websites out there that concern issues about Working in Australia. You just have to go and search about them. I can recommend you one, Jobsearch - it is a governmental webpage from Australia and they keep updating and giving lots of ops to people.

Hope I helped you/

#8 Posted: 2/10/2013 - 10:40

• btone6seven

Joined Travelfish
    23rd May, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 53

In my experience, a WHV was a bit of a poison chalice - having had loads of experience in office work, admin, call centres, customer services etc, I actually found it relatively hard to find a job. The problem with the visa is the expiry date, you're only able to work for one person for six months, by the time you're actually good at your job and learnt everything, it's time to go again - In the end, I was quite lucky I got a job in Sydney for a company who were in the process of off-shoring their customer services team, it paid well, little was expected of me and I got to go to work in my jeans and stream TV all day - however I applied for about fifty jobs, and only got called back by one - which employed me. I had worked in near identical jobs in the UK, but even still the first question they asked me upon interview was 'why aren't you picking fruit?' I was the only person not on a permanent visa to work for the whole company! The employment agency I went through was Julia Ross who were great, always paid me on time, checked in every week to make sure everything was OK etc.

In my experience, the assumption of employers is that WHV people just want to get drunk, earn a bit of money and keep moving. They all seem to constantly let people down - if you want to settle in a city, you may be better working for a backpacker jobs agency, but even they are a bit opportunistic - no guarantees and high fees. I also had a few friends who worked for construction companies - labourers, but seemed well paid.

My other experience (as I have worked in bars too) is that (WHV) guys are only good for bar back and glassie work - only girls are allowed behind the bar, and pretty ones at that because they sell more drinks. My now wife worked in a Sydney pub for six months after managing one in the UK and didn't particularly enjoy it, certainly not compared to the UK hospitality scene anyway.

#9 Posted: 23/5/2014 - 08:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Living and working at Khon Kaen University ... By Tofu on 13 Mar 2013 3 2084 14 Mar 2013
Information source for independent travel/living/working in Mongolia ... By mantuunbuuz on 28 Jan 2014 0 1214 28 Jan 2014
getting a working holiday visa for australia - in SEasia ... By joe_leviente on 20 Jun 2011 2 2389 1 Aug 2011