Brunei forum

Brunei and bringing in alcohol in 2013

• RooX

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2012

Anyone been to Brunei since the start of 2013? Had heard a rumor that as of Jan.1, they are no longer allowing people to bring alcohol across the border. Use to be a 12 pack and 2 bottles of hard/wine per person if I remember.

Interesting to see if they have changed this, might hurt what little tourism they had.

#1 Posted: 23/1/2013 - 15:43

• Advertisement

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It's not on my list of destinations anyway...

#2 Posted: 24/1/2013 - 00:02

• frere

Click here to learn more about frere
    Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

do what the brunei moslem men do - slip across to sarawak; have a few drinks and a filipina for good measure.

#3 Posted: 8/5/2013 - 11:03

• brentwise

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2013

Intriguing to see whenever they possess altered that, might damage what exactly very little travel they'd.

#4 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 20:37

• jackwilliam-

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2013

@frere well said,
    Yes i heard that, but i don't have full knowledge...

#5 Posted: 17/12/2013 - 09:41

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Interesting that the only semi-active "Brunei" thread is about the lack of booze. I went in 1999 from Kota Kinabalu in Sabah. The boat stopped on the tax-free island of Labuan where you could buy alcohol and take it with you to Brunei - but only if you're a foreigner. They'd give you a permit which you supposedly have to keep until you've drank the stuff. I had a Kiwi friend teaching there and in the basement beneath the "country club" they stock-piled alcohol and had a strict understanding that anyone doing a run to the island must return with the maximum allowance of booze. So you could usually get an evening beer or two, and every once in a while they'd have a knees-up night for members only (and their visiting friends). So it is(was) possible to have a drink in Brunei, but you had to be resourceful and/or connected. Sounds like even that may no longer be the case. D'oh!

Other than that it was fairly interesting but surreal. We never walked far without someone stopping to make sure we were ok and sometimes driven to people's houses or somewhere for a cup of tea. Everyone seemed to be in a trance, reciting this mantra that "Brunei is the best country" (because we're trapped here). I'd ask about buying a camera: "No problem, Brunei has the best camera deals on earth". I mentioned scuba diving: "Brunei has the best diving on earth". I never mentioned ice hokey, but no doubt Brunei are the world champions. Was also struck by juxtaposition of materialism, religion and poverty in BSB the capital. Walking through a super-posh shopping mall looking at designer labels, then through the glass see the stunningly ornate Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddin Mosque and in the distance the stilted walkways and shanty huts of Kampong Ayer the "world's largest water village" (Brunei wins again!) Glad to have gone once, but after a short bus ride to Miri in Sarawak (Malaysia) it was like arriving in Las Vegas. Freedom again ;-)

#6 Posted: 18/9/2015 - 08:14

• somtam2000

Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

This post attracts a lot of bot spam, I'm not sure why. Weird.

#7 Posted: 18/9/2015 - 09:12

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

If it's of any help, every time I open the Brunei branch I get error "Required Element 'agoda_searchbox' is missing"

#8 Posted: 18/9/2015 - 10:22

• redneckpowe-

Joined Travelfish
    26th October, 2015

as of October 2015 you can still bring in your 2 bottles of liquor or a 12 pack. If you want to buy smokes you will have to get them from Malaysia or maybe ask around some shops at your own risk. Most Bruneian men that I know smoke.

#9 Posted: 26/10/2015 - 09:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee