admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Along with Malaysia and Indonesia, Brunei is one of the countries that divide up the island of Borneo. Although it's the smallest of the three, it's the richest thanks to oil and is probably best known for its extravagant Sultan, one of the world's wealthiest people.

The capital city of Bandar Seri Begawan is home to just 140,000 people and is surprisingly down to earth. The main attractions are the gold-domed Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque, the Royal Museum and the traditional "Kampong Ayer" (water village on stilts), but the country is small enough to use BSB as a base for trips to Ulu Temburong National Park or scuba-diving the shipwrecks that lie off the coast.

What Brunei isn't known for is partying -- it's a dry country. Foreign visitors are allowed to import a bottle of booze for personal consumption or you can try the bar at the Sheraton.

Bandar Seri Begawan does have an international airport with flights to most Southeast Asian capitals as well as Dubai and London. That said, for most travellers Brunei is not the destination but a transit point for travelling overland between the Malaysian states of Sarawak and Sabah. While it is possible to breeze through in a day, it's worth spending a night in Bandar Seri Begawan, if only for the bragging rights that you've been to this little-known country.

Brunei's currency is the Brunei dollar which is pegged one-to-one with the Singapore dollar. Thankfully travelling in Brunei isn't as expensive as in Singapore, though it is more costly than Malaysia. A private room at one of the city's few budget hotels start from B$30 or a bunk at the youth hostel from B$10. The price of oil is so low that nearly every Bruneian owns a car or two, but there's a network of minivans for public transport at a flat fare of B$1.

#1 Posted: 1/2/2013 - 19:17

• Advertisement

• melodykk

Joined Travelfish
    3rd February, 2013

I agree, brunei is so much cheaper in singapore where the standard of living has greatly skyrocketed. But the cities itself have lots of differences, Singapore has become really cosmopolitan with the influx of so many foreigners whereas Brunei has somewhat still retains it identity

#2 Posted: 3/2/2013 - 21:56

• wisnu

Joined Travelfish
    8th March, 2013

small corrections:
    - brunei population is slightly more than 400,000 now.
    - no booze at Sheraton bar. the only place sell alcohol is British Garison store in Seria, restricted to their personnel only.

#3 Posted: 8/3/2013 - 11:39

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

is mariajames a spambot?

#4 Posted: 26/3/2013 - 14:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

No booze, no nightlife, no salsa = no way.

#5 Posted: 27/3/2013 - 03:29

• larajohn

Joined Travelfish
    2nd April, 2013

Brunei is such a nice place as well as cheaper as compare to other places

#6 Posted: 2/4/2013 - 03:47

• brentwise

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2013

When i agree, brunei is significantly more affordable inside singapore the place that the quality lifestyle has drastically skyrocketed. Nevertheless the metropolitan areas itself have lots of variations, Singapore is becoming truly multicultural with the influx regarding countless foreigners while Brunei has fairly however retains this identity.

#7 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 20:43

• j4small

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2013

Hi, I am getting married at the end of September and we are looking to spend the month of October in Thailand for our honeymoon! Any suggestions on where to stay, what to do, we are interested in snorkeling, anything on boats, rock climbing, staying in beach bungalows and looking for really cool remote islands and nice beaches :).

Any advice on anything would be nice! Looking forward to hearing from anyone, thanks so much!

#8 Posted: 13/12/2013 - 10:56

• jackwilliam-

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2013

Yeah you are right, Burnai is nice place, cheaper price of goods, overall a nice place for me...

#9 Posted: 17/12/2013 - 09:38

• alexanderbl-
    and

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2013

Very good and useful information, I'm planning a trip to a few countries in that region and Brunei is definitely on the list.

#10 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 04:27

• Advertisement

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Re overland connections by BUS:
    2/day to MIRI-Srawak, at 8.00 and 14.00-a little later from Miri, cost is 18B$ or 40/45 MYR, pay in bus, by PHBS-busline.
    1/day direct to KK=Kota Kinabalu in Sabah, at 8.00 from both sides, takes 10-11 hrs and passes from Brunei: piece of Srawak-into another part of BI-then again Srawak-Sabah (also has border controls, even though its all Malaysia), so you gain 8 stamps in your passpt. Cost 45 B$ (ca 100 MYR)-pay on bus, or in BI at a cafe nearby the stand (close by to the local BUSterminal).
    There is also a direct bus to INDOnesia-Pontianak, via Srawak-KUching, but it may take only people going to Indo and not let off in Srawak. Run by DAMRI (=Indo army).

#11 Posted: 2/3/2014 - 02:22

• tamara_91

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2014

always wonder how sulthans spend time there ^_^

#12 Posted: 7/4/2014 - 03:29

• sampitter

Joined Travelfish
    23rd April, 2014

I had visited Brunei once and it is a nice place as well as cheaper then other places. I completely agree with Larajohn.

#13 Posted: 23/4/2014 - 01:34

• tanvy

Joined Travelfish
    24th April, 2014

Hello,
    I couldn't visit Brunei.So I want to know more information about this place.

#14 Posted: 4/5/2014 - 23:58

• HamishHealys

Joined Travelfish
    26th April, 2014
    Location Australia

You're post seems to have hit it right. My friends who have been to Brunei have also told me it's not a party place. It's a small oil-rich country where cost of living is great and that's it.

#15 Posted: 7/5/2014 - 18:22

• RLightning

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2014
    Location Poland

I still liked brunei even if there was not much of night life and parties. its peaceful cheap but the hotels are still great

#16 Posted: 8/5/2014 - 22:07

• JuliaChu45

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2014

I like brunei too

#17 Posted: 12/5/2014 - 05:05

• vungtaurent-
    al

Joined Travelfish
    9th July, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

no booze at Sheraton bar. the only place sell alcohol is British Garison store in Seria, restricted to their personnel only. ?

#18 Posted: 9/7/2014 - 02:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.