Burma forum

2 weeks in June - need your input

• shalomJNF

Joined Travelfish
    3rd April, 2010

The following itinerary was suggested by a prospective recommended guide . Need your input/comments & or suggested addons. Also what parts we should avoid traveling by car? (we are having a guide/driver for the entire visit)
    Day-1--- arrival in Yangon
    Day -2--- Yangon [visit in town]
    Day -3-- Yangon to bagan
    Day -4— bagan [sight seen]
    Day-5--- bagan [sight seen]
    Day-6--- bagan to Mandalay
    Day-7--Mandalay [amapura, sagain, U bein wooden bridge in sunset]
    Day- 8—Mandalay [mingon, Mandalay palace, Mandalay hill]
    Day-9--- Mandalay to maymyo [over night in maymyo]
    Day-10--- maymyo to kalaw
    Day-11—kalaw[ day tracking]
    Day-12—kalaw to inle
    Day-13--- inle [boat excursion]
    Day-14—inle [market, canoe trip]
    Day-15—inle to Yangon
    Day-16—departure to Bangkok

Cheers
    Norman

#1 Posted: 3/4/2010 - 23:08

• Advertisement

• anotherlost-
    soul

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

The itinerary is fine; Myanmar's 'Greatest Hits'! My only concern would be regarding the long, long drives at the start and end. If your driver / guide is one-and-the-same-person, he is going to be mighty tired on those days. These routes take 15 - 20 hours by bus. A car will be quicker of course but it will still be long tiring drive for one person to make in one go, which raises safety concerns. Tired driver / poor condition cars (breakdowns)/ unlit roads / potholes / wandering obstacles; you see where i'm going with this. Your driver-guide seems to be rushing these journeys in order to pack as much into your itinerary as possible. His idea or yours? I would suggest breaking these long journeys with nights at intermediate stops, such as Taungoo or Pyay.

Safe Travels!

#2 Posted: 4/4/2010 - 17:13

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I'd recommend going to Inle - Kalaw - Mandalay - and then take the boat to Bagan (have your driver meet you in Bagan.) Though, it is possible that the water level may be too low for the boat journey. Anyway, the boat trip is great and worth taking if it is actually running.

Don't miss Mahamuni in Mandalay. The temple is great, and the Buddha is very special.

Good idea to break the journey, as mentioned above.

Make sure that the air-conditioning in the car works before you hire your driver.

Happy Trails.

#3 Posted: 5/4/2010 - 01:22

• kkym

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010
    Location Myanmar / Burma

As for an experience driver it is not so practical. Normally nobody drive directly to and from Inle. It takes about 13 hrs drive and may be more in the rainy season. Especially on the last day. If it is something wrong on the way, what are you going to do? Just miss your Int'l flight ? You should keep at least one spare day in Yangon. Keep that day for Yangon Sightseeing. For me, I have to recommend anticlockwise. So that you still have a chance to take a boat trip from Mandalay to Bagan. Mandalay to Bagan is down river and take much faster. But please note the local boat leaves only on Wed and Sunday. The following is my suggestive itinerary and hope it may help you.
    Suggestive Itinerary
    Day 1 Arrival, Yangon Sightseeing
    Day 2 Yangon-Bago-Taungoo
    Day 3 Taungoo-Kalaw
    Day 4 Kalaw-Pindaya-Inle
    Day 5 Inle Lake Sightseeing
    Day 6 Inle-Mandalay
    Day 7 Excursion to Amarapura & Sagaing
    Day 8 Mandalay Sightseeing then proceed to Maymyo
    Day 9 Back to Mandalay
    Day 10 Mandalay-Mt. Popa- Bagan ( or By boat )
    Day 11 Bagan Sightseeing
    Day 12 Bagan Sightseeing
    Day 13 Bagan-Yangon via Nay Pyi Taw thru new highway road.
    Day 14 Yangon Sightseeing
    Day 15 Departure

Have a nice visit

#4 Posted: 6/4/2010 - 13:09

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.