Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

2 weeks in June - need your input

Posted by shalomJNF on 3/4/2010 at 23:08

The following itinerary was suggested by a prospective recommended guide . Need your input/comments & or suggested addons. Also what parts we should avoid traveling by car? (we are having a guide/driver for the entire visit)
Day-1--- arrival in Yangon
Day -2--- Yangon [visit in town]
Day -3-- Yangon to bagan
Day -4— bagan [sight seen]
Day-5--- bagan [sight seen]
Day-6--- bagan to Mandalay
Day-7--Mandalay [amapura, sagain, U bein wooden bridge in sunset]
Day- 8—Mandalay [mingon, Mandalay palace, Mandalay hill]
Day-9--- Mandalay to maymyo [over night in maymyo]
Day-10--- maymyo to kalaw
Day-11—kalaw[ day tracking]
Day-12—kalaw to inle
Day-13--- inle [boat excursion]
Day-14—inle [market, canoe trip]
Day-15—inle to Yangon
Day-16—departure to Bangkok

Cheers
Norman

#1 shalomJNF has been a member since 3/4/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by anotherlostsoul on 4/4/2010 at 17:13

The itinerary is fine; Myanmar's 'Greatest Hits'! My only concern would be regarding the long, long drives at the start and end. If your driver / guide is one-and-the-same-person, he is going to be mighty tired on those days. These routes take 15 - 20 hours by bus. A car will be quicker of course but it will still be long tiring drive for one person to make in one go, which raises safety concerns. Tired driver / poor condition cars (breakdowns)/ unlit roads / potholes / wandering obstacles; you see where i'm going with this. Your driver-guide seems to be rushing these journeys in order to pack as much into your itinerary as possible. His idea or yours? I would suggest breaking these long journeys with nights at intermediate stops, such as Taungoo or Pyay.

Safe Travels!

#2 anotherlostsoul has been a member since 14/9/2009. Posts: 34

Posted by Tilapia on 5/4/2010 at 01:22

I'd recommend going to Inle - Kalaw - Mandalay - and then take the boat to Bagan (have your driver meet you in Bagan.) Though, it is possible that the water level may be too low for the boat journey. Anyway, the boat trip is great and worth taking if it is actually running.

Don't miss Mahamuni in Mandalay. The temple is great, and the Buddha is very special.

Good idea to break the journey, as mentioned above.

Make sure that the air-conditioning in the car works before you hire your driver.

Happy Trails.

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,491
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by kkym on 6/4/2010 at 13:09

As for an experience driver it is not so practical. Normally nobody drive directly to and from Inle. It takes about 13 hrs drive and may be more in the rainy season. Especially on the last day. If it is something wrong on the way, what are you going to do? Just miss your Int'l flight ? You should keep at least one spare day in Yangon. Keep that day for Yangon Sightseeing. For me, I have to recommend anticlockwise. So that you still have a chance to take a boat trip from Mandalay to Bagan. Mandalay to Bagan is down river and take much faster. But please note the local boat leaves only on Wed and Sunday. The following is my suggestive itinerary and hope it may help you.
Suggestive Itinerary
Day 1 Arrival, Yangon Sightseeing
Day 2 Yangon-Bago-Taungoo
Day 3 Taungoo-Kalaw
Day 4 Kalaw-Pindaya-Inle
Day 5 Inle Lake Sightseeing
Day 6 Inle-Mandalay
Day 7 Excursion to Amarapura & Sagaing
Day 8 Mandalay Sightseeing then proceed to Maymyo
Day 9 Back to Mandalay
Day 10 Mandalay-Mt. Popa- Bagan ( or By boat )
Day 11 Bagan Sightseeing
Day 12 Bagan Sightseeing
Day 13 Bagan-Yangon via Nay Pyi Taw thru new highway road.
Day 14 Yangon Sightseeing
Day 15 Departure

Have a nice visit

#4 kkym has been a member since 6/4/2010. Location: Myanmar / Burma. Posts: 25

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.