Burma forum

Crash Course Burma: What you Need to Know Before you Go

• legalnomads

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2009

Hey everyone! I just put up a 'before you go' blog post about travel to Burma (Myanmar), including visa overstays, approx. costs, food, what to bring and some recommended readings.

For those who are interested, the
    Burma post is here

Hope it is helpful! I will be posting much more about the food, transportation adventures (of which there are MANY) and sights in coming weeks.

-Jodi

#1 Posted: 25/4/2010 - 11:59

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Excellent write up Jodi and very useful for anyone planning to go to Burma. It's five years since I was there but everything you say seems absolutely spot on.

The only thing I'd disagree with is the comment about the food being cheap and delicious.... cheap yes, but not always delicious! However friends who went there disagreed with me too so maybe I just didn't eat at the right places. Even so, unless things have changed, I'll be taking some decent coffee with me next time. (Do GHs still only have that awful 3-in-1 stuff?)

#2 Posted: 25/4/2010 - 14:20

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I kind of liked that 3-in-1 stuff and spent the rest of my kyat on about 50 packages of it before leaving the country. Was happy to see it in Thailand, too.

But, like Coke, Pepsi, and bottled water, I only drink the stuff when I'm away from home.

Good blog.

#3 Posted: 25/4/2010 - 22:38

• legalnomads

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2009

Thanks for the feedback! I met many people who found the food lacking, and there is no question that a country sandwiched between some of the tastier national cuisines on earth should have some better options. But the curries aside, I found the food an endless delight to explore, and the mountains of spices in the markets a great source of learning. To each his own, definitely!

I plan on posting about soup in my next Burma post, so stay tuned!

thanks for reading.
    Jodi

#4 Posted: 28/4/2010 - 12:57

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

well done! thanks for the info, we're planning a trip out Nov/Dec this year

(ps, Johnny Vagabond Wes is an old friend of ours, glad to see the bloggers meeting up!)

#5 Posted: 29/4/2010 - 00:33

• linjingyi

Joined Travelfish
    26th October, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to write the post! I'm going there in June so the information really came in handy! (:

#6 Posted: 30/4/2010 - 23:23

• legalnomads

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2009

Hey everyone. I just updated my site to do a full post on soup in Burma - I have a food 'problem' (i.e. I am obsessed with it) so I tried all the soups I could! It's Always Soup O'Clock in Burma

CunningMcFar: It was great to meet Wes in person - he's a great guy!

Thanks for reading, all!
    Jodi

#7 Posted: 1/5/2010 - 13:18

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Ou nou khao-swey was, perhaps, one of the best soups I've ever eaten. It was my breakfast of choice, when available.

Several years later a Nepalese friend, who had recently moved to Toronto, made it for me. His father was the Nepalese ambassador to Burma and he'd lived there for quite a while in the '70's and learned how to make a bunch of Burmese dishes. Lucky for me he remembered.

#8 Posted: 1/5/2010 - 21:52

• legalnomads

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2009

Hi everyone - my upcoming Burma posts will be on the new & improved (non Blogspot) Legal Nomads: http://www.legalnomads.com/. If you're interested, please check out that instead of the old blog. Thanks!

#9 Posted: 11/5/2010 - 23:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.