Burma forum

Burma US Dollars Issue

• babiguling

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2010

I'm going to Myanmar in June. I've read there are no atms at all in the entire country, but most places accept American dollars. I'm a little wary of bringing a bunch of American cash on the trip, since I will be in Asia for about three weeks prior to going to Myanmar. I've read I can exchange thai baht for usd in bangkok and at bkk airport, but I'm not sure if the exchanged usd will be in good enough condition to be accepted in burma. Should I just bring my own usd or do the exchange? Any help is appreciated

#1 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 09:20

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Difficult one. They are very picky indeed about the state of USD bills in Burma and its very difficult to use notes that have even the slightest tear or mark on them, particularly large denomination notes.

I've bought USDs in Bangkok before and the bank kindly changed any that weren't pristine enough but I'm not sure that exchange booths at the airport would have enough flawless dollar bills in stock. Personally I think I'd bring most of my dollars with me (you're going to be carrying this bunch of money around in Burma anyway) but it's risky of course.

#2 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 14:08

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

I'd say buy a money belt and bring your own US dollars. Airports give lousy exchange rates. Remember to make sure that the US dollars have no rips, tears, and do not have "CB" in their serial numbers.

#3 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 15:27

• soesoe

Joined Travelfish
    17th May, 2010

usd will be the best for u in yangon, if u r visiting to upper myanmar, u better exchange ur usd in yangon n keep enough kyats for ur trip.

#4 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 20:22

• babiguling

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2010

Thank you. Any ideas as to what denominations of usd I should bring? I'm not sure if I should bring one, five, and ten dollar bills or just twenties and hundreds.

#5 Posted: 17/5/2010 - 23:03

• soesoe

Joined Travelfish
    17th May, 2010

bills in denominations of $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100. ...all r ok.
    most hotels n restaurants take usd, so small notes will be useful.
    but for large amount of kyats if u need to change, the money exchange people like only 100 bill in very good condition( like a new prtint)they reject the old n with spots money. they give a low rate on small notes.
    r u coming here as a tourist?

#6 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 11:04

• babiguling

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2010

Thank you. Yes im coming as a tourist. One last question, I read that it's better to exchange usd for kyat on the black market. Does anybody know a good place in Yangon to exchange usd for kyat?

#7 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 11:12

• soesoe

Joined Travelfish
    17th May, 2010

yes many places.if u r on face book please, visit my page at http://www.facebook.com/BikeWorldMyanmar
    we love to help you if u need with more information.

#8 Posted: 18/5/2010 - 11:41

• kkym

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010
    Location Myanmar / Burma

We have very poor banking facilities because of the sanctions. No ATM, credit cards, Travellers' check at all. Everybody will accept only cash.
    The best place to change the money is Bogyoke Market. But it close on Monday and need to bargain. If you are a hard bargainer, you should go there.
    Otherwise there is a changer at the Summit Park View Hotel. It's on the way from A/P to the city. Just get in and ask the bellboy. Almost the same as street rate. US$100 notes worth more.
    But recommend to bring some small notes to pay entrance fees. It is difficult for them to refund back in US$, especially in the country side.

#9 Posted: 19/5/2010 - 19:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.