Burma forum

Trekking in Burma

• Ramblergirl

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 8

Hi

We are a group of four 'over 50's' travellers, in fact we are already between 55 - 65 years young. We are going to be in Burma for three weeks in February 2011, and would like include some trekking (1 day) into our itinerary. We are all reasonable fit and since we come from Australia, we are also used to the hot weather but not to the humidity.

I would like to get your opinion on a couple of things:

1. Where is the best to do 'a not so hard' hike, what we here call 'a bush walk'? We would like to see some tribal villages and of course some beautiful scenery.

2. Do we have to have proper hiking boots (heavy) or can we walk with our sneekers (light weight)?

3. How hot it is going to be in February and how humid?

4. What do you think - can we make it?

I believe we can organise the trip when we are there either through our hotel or some local travel agent.

Thanking you for your advice.

#1 Posted: 5/7/2010 - 16:42

• Advertisement

• anotherlost-
    soul

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

If you are doing the standard route of Yangon - Bagan - Mandalay - Inle - Yangon, take a side trip to Kalaw. It's a pretty area inhabited by hill tribes and there are several day hikes in the area that are not so hard to do. You could also do overnight trips here staying in local homes or monasteries - it's one of the few areas in Myanmar where that's possible.

The weather averages about 33C in the lowlands in February, but the elevation of Kalaw tempers the heat. It can sometimes get rather cold at night in winter. You can trek in trainers - the paths will be well-worn and dry. For photos to get an idea of what it's like, and more information, google Mr Myanmar Travel's website, which has a good trekking section.

#2 Posted: 7/7/2010 - 00:14

• Ramblergirl

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2008
    Total reviews: 8

Thanks Anotherlostsoul!

Your reply was exactly what I had hoped for! It clears my fears and I found Mr Myanmar Travel's website a really good saurce of information. In fact, it is as good as any written travel quide and I have now bookmarked it to my Favorites. Thanks for that link!

#3 Posted: 7/7/2010 - 06:47

• kkym

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010
    Location Myanmar / Burma

There are many nice places to make a light trekking. Hsipaw, Kentung, Namsam, Pindaya, Kalaw etc..
    But if you are on a classic tour you better make around Kalaw as the trekking trip to Yatzakyi Village from Pindaya is harder.
    There are 4 different type of trekking.
    1. Trekking from Kalaw to Inle ( 3D2N ) a bit harder.
    2. Drive a little bit up to Myinmahti Cave and start walking from there ( 2D1N ) If you want to overnight at a monastery in a village you should do that. It will get to Indein village, the west bank of Inle Lake. But the last hours is hard. I think you can still make it.
    3. Day return trip around Kalaw ( Taryaw Village )
    4. Day return trip around Kalaw ( Panenepin Village ) , the lightest one. Just to have an experience and fun, you should do that. Only about two hrs for one way.

#4 Posted: 13/7/2010 - 18:55

• Isabelleband

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2014

I recently returned from doing a trek Kalaw to Inle.I trekked with Ko Min.
    We booked our trip with Ko Min and we were welcomed at the airport by a very friendly guide.
    He is someone very competent in his work and always ready to find the best solution,if necessary and speak English very well.He has already obtained tourist guide license from the ministry of hotel and tourism goverment of Myanmar.The best thing is that Ko Min loves his country very much and love his work.He is a very nice person and is alway attentive to the needs of his customers.He made sure everything went smoothly.He was very helpful with our questions about history and culture.He always gave us plenty of time to enjoy the places we visited,and I never felt rushed or tired.I have had a wonderful time on trek and the guide was a big part of making the tour so successful.
    The main thing, he is a family man and very trust worthy I still keep in touch with him.
    He really made the trip fun and comfortable and I'd highly recommend him to anyone thinking about trek Kalaw to Inle.
    komin.kalaw@gmail.com
    komintouristguide@gmail.com

#5 Posted: 30/8/2014 - 20:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.