Burma forum

Any privately owned guesthouses in Yangoon ?

• Remedy

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 7

I am thinking of heading into Burma for a short period in late September / early October and I'm going to try, to the best of my ability, to limit the amount of cash I leave for the officials. In that spirit, I'm trying to do some research on which guesthouses ( and restaurants ) are privately owned rather than government owned, but information on this seems to be few and far between.

I would probably fall into the flashpacker category as I do prefer a private bathroom and hot water.

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to travel between cities not using government services that would be appreciated.

Cheers,

#1 Posted: 31/8/2010 - 15:51

• Advertisement

• anotherlost-
    soul

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2009

Just buy a Lonely Planet - they only review privately-owned establishments. Recommended 'better' guesthouses / cheap hotels in Yangon include the Winner Inn and Panorama Hotel. Travel the country by private airline (Yangon Airways and Air Mandalay are the most recommended), car or bus; avoid train travel.

#2 Posted: 31/8/2010 - 23:56

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Check Wikitravel for recommendations, they're what I used when I traveled through Myanmar:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Yangon#Sleep

In Yangon I splurged and stayed at the ParkRoyal (lovely, but around $100 USD). I can recommend a privately owned place in Mandalay though - I know I still have the guy's business card somewhere.

#3 Posted: 1/9/2010 - 23:05

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

I'm seeing the Park Royal right now from booking sites (directrooms.com) and from Yangon travel agents for $63, looks like a good bargain we may book there ourselves

#4 Posted: 2/9/2010 - 08:34

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

I can't recommend the Park Royal Yangon enough -- the rooms are gorgeous and it's a steal relative to the other 5-star properties in town (ex. The Strand). We got some kind of a deal on their website that it was about $70 per night and included airport pick-up. There's a great bakery on the ground floor and after 6 PM or so everything is 50% off.

#5 Posted: 2/9/2010 - 08:53

• kkym

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010
    Location Myanmar / Burma

It was mentioned guesthouses in your post but didn't say anything about the price and location. Check the following. These are known as the best among the mid range hotels. Please note most of the hotels and guesthouses are fully private own.
    Yangon
    Panorama Hotel
    Yoma Hotel
    Mandalay
    Mandalay City Hotel
    Mandalay View Inn
    Royal City Hotel
    Bagan
    Thande Hotel
    Golden Express Hotel
    Kaday Aung Hotel
    Inle Lake
    Amazing Nyaung Shwe ( on shore )
    Paradise Hotel, Nyaung Shwe ( on shore )
    Inle Resort ( in the lake )
    For this kind of hotels, If you book through a local travel agent it will be much cheaper. Just to get an idea, Inle Resort, the local agent rate should be around US$ 35/dbl.
    Any type of transportation except the train are private.

#6 Posted: 2/9/2010 - 12:54

• Remedy

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 7

Thanks for all the replys. Totally forgot about wikitravel. Will check it out now.

kkym: The reason I wrote guesthouses is that I'm travelling alone, and in my experience those are the places where it's easiest to connect to other travelers. Other than that I'm pretty much open to anything. I'll check out some of the suggestions in your post. Tnx again.

#7 Posted: 2/9/2010 - 20:19

• kkym

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010
    Location Myanmar / Burma

If you are on a limited budget and coming with a backpacker style, you better try Mother Land Inn 2 or Beauty Land Hotel 2. For myself, I prefer Beauty Land 2 as it is situated right in the center of the city. You better try Nylon Hotel, Garden Hotel, ET Guest House in Mandalay. All of them are in the city center.

#8 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 12:03

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I would also recommend Beauty Land 2. Easy place to meet people, and an excellent location.

#9 Posted: 3/9/2010 - 22:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.