Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Any privately owned guesthouses in Yangoon ?

Posted by Remedy on 31/8/2010 at 15:51

I am thinking of heading into Burma for a short period in late September / early October and I'm going to try, to the best of my ability, to limit the amount of cash I leave for the officials. In that spirit, I'm trying to do some research on which guesthouses ( and restaurants ) are privately owned rather than government owned, but information on this seems to be few and far between.

I would probably fall into the flashpacker category as I do prefer a private bathroom and hot water.

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to travel between cities not using government services that would be appreciated.

Cheers,

#1 Remedy has been a member since 25/7/2009. Posts: 31

Posted by anotherlostsoul on 31/8/2010 at 23:56

Just buy a Lonely Planet - they only review privately-owned establishments. Recommended 'better' guesthouses / cheap hotels in Yangon include the Winner Inn and Panorama Hotel. Travel the country by private airline (Yangon Airways and Air Mandalay are the most recommended), car or bus; avoid train travel.

#2 anotherlostsoul has been a member since 14/9/2009. Posts: 34

Posted by idreamofdurian on 1/9/2010 at 23:05 TF writer

Check Wikitravel for recommendations, they're what I used when I traveled through Myanmar:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Yangon#Sleep

In Yangon I splurged and stayed at the ParkRoyal (lovely, but around $100 USD). I can recommend a privately owned place in Mandalay though - I know I still have the guy's business card somewhere.

#3 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by CunningMcFar on 2/9/2010 at 08:34

I'm seeing the Park Royal right now from booking sites (directrooms.com) and from Yangon travel agents for $63, looks like a good bargain we may book there ourselves

#4 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163
 Where has CunningMcFar been? 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 2/9/2010 at 08:53 TF writer

I can't recommend the Park Royal Yangon enough -- the rooms are gorgeous and it's a steal relative to the other 5-star properties in town (ex. The Strand). We got some kind of a deal on their website that it was about $70 per night and included airport pick-up. There's a great bakery on the ground floor and after 6 PM or so everything is 50% off.

#5 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by kkym on 2/9/2010 at 12:54

It was mentioned guesthouses in your post but didn't say anything about the price and location. Check the following. These are known as the best among the mid range hotels. Please note most of the hotels and guesthouses are fully private own.
Yangon
Panorama Hotel
Yoma Hotel
Mandalay
Mandalay City Hotel
Mandalay View Inn
Royal City Hotel
Bagan
Thande Hotel
Golden Express Hotel
Kaday Aung Hotel
Inle Lake
Amazing Nyaung Shwe ( on shore )
Paradise Hotel, Nyaung Shwe ( on shore )
Inle Resort ( in the lake )
For this kind of hotels, If you book through a local travel agent it will be much cheaper. Just to get an idea, Inle Resort, the local agent rate should be around US$ 35/dbl.
Any type of transportation except the train are private.

#6 kkym has been a member since 6/4/2010. Location: Myanmar / Burma. Posts: 25

Posted by Remedy on 2/9/2010 at 20:19

Thanks for all the replys. Totally forgot about wikitravel. Will check it out now.

kkym: The reason I wrote guesthouses is that I'm travelling alone, and in my experience those are the places where it's easiest to connect to other travelers. Other than that I'm pretty much open to anything. I'll check out some of the suggestions in your post. Tnx again.

#7 Remedy has been a member since 25/7/2009. Posts: 31

Posted by kkym on 3/9/2010 at 12:03

If you are on a limited budget and coming with a backpacker style, you better try Mother Land Inn 2 or Beauty Land Hotel 2. For myself, I prefer Beauty Land 2 as it is situated right in the center of the city. You better try Nylon Hotel, Garden Hotel, ET Guest House in Mandalay. All of them are in the city center.

#8 kkym has been a member since 6/4/2010. Location: Myanmar / Burma. Posts: 25

Posted by Tilapia on 3/9/2010 at 22:22

I would also recommend Beauty Land 2. Easy place to meet people, and an excellent location.

#9 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.