Burma forum

Spending your cash in Burma, were does it go?

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hi folks,

Sorry for the somewhat unclear titile, I'll try to explain.

Burma is one of those places that i have a really deep desire to visit, for a hole lot of reasons, but under the current circumstances i don't feel that i can. It would make me feel like i'm supporting the regime. Now, i know there are other ways to see this but this is how i feel.

However, i'm currently in Chiang Mai and planning a 30 day motorbike tour starting in a few days, and one of the the things i would like to do is cross in to Tachilek from Mae Sai for a day just to get a feel for it (from what i understand, you're allowed to cross the border for one day without stamping out your visa/passport, correct?).

So, were does the money go if i would like to buy something on the Burmese side? Is there anything like private businesses, or is it all controlled so that the military gets its share no matter what?

If any of you with any insight in this could help clarify, i would be really grateful!

//

#1 Posted: 18/10/2010 - 15:32

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Sampan,

Regardless of what anyone says about "private businesses," rest assured there are none in the complete sense of the word private. If a business exists, it is because the military allows it to exist, and they will exact their share either through taxes, partial ownership (e.g. the old saying, "Stay in a 4-star hotel owned by a 4-star general."), or something else along those lines. From the outside there appears to be no connection, but there are always strings attached.

So, no matter how much visitors want to support the so-called local economy, they are still, in some way, supporting the regime.

Perhaps the largest, one-time chunk of cash that most people provide to the junta comes from the visa fee. No way around that if you're going to cross the border.

If you're not sure if you should go or not, and if your only exposure to the country is going to be Tachilek for a day, then you might find that your deep desire to visit the country is not going to be satisfied. I'd say that if you want to go, then go and travel there and satisfy that craving. It's an astounding country with absolutely fantastic people.

Of course there are many arguments for going and not going. Good luck with your decision-making.

#2 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 04:28

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009

Tilapia, thank you very much for the reply.

#3 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 09:42

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i seriously doubt that all of the money spent by western tourists in burma is even a drop in the bucket compared to what china is spending and investing in the country. i guess because of that i wouldn't worry too much about it.

i did that one-day trip across the border to tachilek about a decade ago now. we just wandered around, bought a few trinkets and had lunch and a few beers. pretty decent beers as i remember. i hope you have a good experience and since it has been so long since i went, i'd really like to hear how it goes and what you did and what you thought about spending the day in tachilek. cheers.

#4 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 11:13

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009

exacto, I'll post a message if i go.

#5 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 15:03

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ya, the beer is excellent. Much better than most Thai beer.

China is their biggest investor. All roads being built (with slave labour) lead to China.

#6 Posted: 20/10/2010 - 23:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Advice on Burma - Cash$ ... By christay2009 on 19 May 2011 4 2453 6 Aug 2011