Burma forum

Accomodation in Bagan and Inle Lake

• sunnyzak

Joined Travelfish
    12th December, 2010

Hi: It has been a few years since I last visited Burma. The last time I was in Bagan I stayed within walking distance of the "restaurant row" and used a bike to take in the sites. At Inle lake I was near the center but did not stay on the lake. Any comments on accomodations in these two areas would be appreciated. Thanks.

#1 Posted: 12/12/2010 - 04:48

• Advertisement

• Remedy

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2009
    Total reviews: 7

I was recently in Burma and Inle Lake. The accomodation on the lake is a bit more expensive than elsewhere in Burma, but I stayed at Golden Cottages. There are two of them, and the southermost where I stayed was certainly good. I believe the price started at about 30 $ for the cheapest option, but they upgraded me to the "premium" room for free without me having to ask for it due to low season. The premiums are 35 $ a night if my memory serves me correct. Good value for money.

As far as I know there aren't any backpacker options on the lake itself ( you have to stay in the nearby town. Can't remember the name... ), and 30 $ is about as cheap as you can get. 

As an extra bonus, the Golden Cottage give some of the profits back to the local people.

Hope this helps.

#2 Posted: 20/12/2010 - 19:45

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

In Bagan I stayed in a place called the Golden Village Inn near the main restaurant row. Tel 061 61003 or 092042016 It's next to a place called New Heaven run by the same family (rooms at new Heaven cost the same.

Rooms were $6 (single)-$8 (double) for a basic room with private hot water shower and small balcony. The huge "luxury" rooms were $10-12 and these have a TV with a few foreign language channels like Al Jazeera and TV5, a fridge and a nicer balcony. Not luxury but pretty decent. A good breakfast is included. Prices may be a bit higher now... apparently the manager was under pressure to increase his rates. All GHs pay 10% tax to the government BTW.

In Inle (Nyang Shwe) there are loads of GHs. I can recommend the Nan Da Wunn Hotel... really nice rooms with pleasant balconies for $10 and up. Tel 095 081 200211. Email: nandawunn@gmail.com.

Another place that gets very good feedback from travellers is the Min Ga Larr Inn. Rooms are $6 and up. (NB not to be confused with the similar sounding Min Ga Larr Guest House in Nyaung Oo near Bagan which isn't nearly as nice!). tel +95 081 209198 or 09 5216278 You probably need to book in advance here as it's very popular and usually full.

#3 Posted: 26/12/2010 - 14:33

• GoldenEarth

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2010

So many great budget options in Nyaungshwe (Inle Lake). Pick of the bunch imo is The Queen Inn on the other side of the canal, huge basic bungalows that can sleep up to 3people, $8 single, good standard breakfast of fruit, eggs & pancakes & free flow fresh juice & coffee & a 4course evening meal for 2500k, very friendly family run establishment, it can get a little noisy in the mornings though with the boats coming into town but makes for some great photographs.

The Remember at Nyaungshwe is another good option. Friendly people, nice breakfast room with great views from the roof, $10 single, very quiet location.

The Teakwood, The Aquarius & The Gypsy are other good friendly options around the $8-10 mark.

If you want to stay on the lake at the Golden Island Cottages in high season it'll cost you more like $55-60, that's about the cheapest on the lake you'll find. Don't expect any action at night, after your meal you'll probably be retiring with a good book for lack of things to do.

#4 Posted: 31/12/2010 - 12:06

• magdabis

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2008
    Location Australia

I highly recommend Teak House in Inle. It's a beautiful guesthouse. The rooms are really cosy. They start at $12 for double. Breakfast included.

#5 Posted: 25/1/2011 - 10:10

• riverspot

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

Nyang Shwe

The Four Sisters - very good

#6 Posted: 23/7/2011 - 13:10

• CunningMcFar

Joined Travelfish
    20th August, 2004
    Total reviews: 45

not sure of yr budget, but if you can swing $25-30US, head over to the Princess Garden Inn in Nyaungshwe--fairly new, squeaky clean, lush gardens and a sparkling pool, free bikes, really good breakfast, in a gorgeous rural setting on the edge of town. Bungalows are on the small side and fairly simple, really not much more is needed here as the emphasis is on atmosphere and setting. But the best thing about a stay here is the warm and attentive service provided by proprietors Mee Mee and Ko Aung, they effortlessly make you feel like one of the family. Can book thru an agent or directly by email: princessgardenhotel@gmail.com

In Nyaungshwe, also stayed at Remember Inn and can enthusiastically recommend as a great spot on the budget end of the scale, helpful, well-run and friendly, excellent breakfast, esp the Shan noodles. If you book ahead via email, they will do Heho Airport pick-up for 16000 kyat, a huge savings over the taxi guys at the airport who I understand ask for 25-30000k for the trip into Nyaungshwe. Our driver also made a lengthy stop for us to visit the 5-day market in Shwenyaung along the way. They have a website: www.rememberinn.jimdo.com

We knew we wanted to make a visit to Sankar and the southern end of the lake, so chose to splash out for a couple of nights at Golden Island Cottages Nampan, very happy with the choice--amazing sunsets, incredibly atmospheric to be out on the lake, top-notch service but mediocre food. Good to be located so far out on the lake for our early morning departure to Sankar. We were there at the start of high season and had prebooked a superior double thru an agent for $50US (rack rate on this room in high season is $80) and on checking in got a free upgrade to deluxe, an impressive room with great view--easily one of the best rooms we had on the trip. GIC Nampan: http://bit.ly/hXVEm2
    They have an office in town where treks and boat trips can be arranged, we did the day trek to Kakku, recommended. This is a well run operation, managed by the Pa-O people.

#7 Posted: 23/7/2011 - 23:06

• heddenswest

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

Anyone have contact info. for the Queen Inn? I've run several google searches and am kind of coming up empty handed. Much appreciated!

#8 Posted: 27/7/2011 - 06:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mandalay to Bagan to Inle Lake ... By igormozzilli on 6 Feb 2014 7 844 8 Apr 2014
Heading North, finishing in Mandalay. Bagan or Inle Lake first? ... By mitchwest on 17 Sep 2013 2 1003 19 Sep 2013
Trying to visit Yangon-Bagan-Inle Lake in 8 Days by land- possible? ... By suswati37 on 26 Dec 2010 4 8347 6 Aug 2011
Cheap Hostels in Myanmar? (Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake) ... By Spasmic on 12 Jan 2014 1 699 12 Jan 2014
Mandalay or Inle Lake ... By johnthornton on 9 Mar 2011 5 5963 6 Aug 2011
INLE LAKE,October Tip ... By bootstar on 22 Jul 2011 1 2107 6 Aug 2011
Is Inle Lake worth it? ... By linjingyi on 10 Apr 2010 13 11113 6 Aug 2011
cost for trekking to Inle Lake ... By ccalvin09 on 5 Sep 2011 1 2310 20 Oct 2011
Yangon - Inle Lake Transfer ... By blazej on 19 Dec 2009 2 6355 6 Aug 2011
hotel in Nanpan or south Inle Lake ... By sylbear on 4 Jun 2012 0 1260 4 Jun 2012