Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

moe sot to burma

Posted by boxee on 23/12/2010 at 17:28

next april i will be spending a few days in moe sot in thailand , and was wondering if the border crossing into burma is open (i have a uk passport) , also is there much woth seeing on the other side , i will have about 2-3 days before i have to cross back into thailand

cheers

danny

#1 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131

Posted by GoldenEarth on 31/12/2010 at 15:23

At the moment the Mae Sot-Myawaddy Friendship Bridge border crossing is shut & looks like it'll remain that way for some time yet. It wasn't so long ago that the odd rocket propelled grenade was dropping on the Thai side of the border due to skirmishes between the Democratic Karen Buddhist Army (DKBA) & the Burmese troops, the fighting has quietened down now but for how long is anyones guess.

You'll not be able to overnight in Myawaddy anyhow, you'll have to get a $10 or 500bt day pass at the border when crossing, leave your passport at the border with immigration & pick it up on the way back out in the evening. It's very much worth a day visiting Myawaddy, like most other parts in Myanmar, it's friendly & interesting.

#2 GoldenEarth has been a member since 31/12/2010. Posts: 4

Posted by boxee on 31/12/2010 at 19:10

thanks for the reply ,

will i need to take some dollars with me , or will the vendors take baht

#3 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131

Posted by GoldenEarth on 2/1/2011 at 18:36

It's always handy to have some dollars, usually at the borders they'll charge $10 or 500bt for the entry permit, 500bt works out to be just over $15 so try & pay in dollar if you can. Pretty much everything you'll pay for will be charged in Baht, same in Tachilek

#4 GoldenEarth has been a member since 31/12/2010. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.