Burma forum

moe sot to burma

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

next april i will be spending a few days in moe sot in thailand , and was wondering if the border crossing into burma is open (i have a uk passport) , also is there much woth seeing on the other side , i will have about 2-3 days before i have to cross back into thailand

cheers

danny

#1 Posted: 23/12/2010 - 17:28

• Advertisement

• GoldenEarth

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2010

At the moment the Mae Sot-Myawaddy Friendship Bridge border crossing is shut & looks like it'll remain that way for some time yet. It wasn't so long ago that the odd rocket propelled grenade was dropping on the Thai side of the border due to skirmishes between the Democratic Karen Buddhist Army (DKBA) & the Burmese troops, the fighting has quietened down now but for how long is anyones guess.

You'll not be able to overnight in Myawaddy anyhow, you'll have to get a $10 or 500bt day pass at the border when crossing, leave your passport at the border with immigration & pick it up on the way back out in the evening. It's very much worth a day visiting Myawaddy, like most other parts in Myanmar, it's friendly & interesting.

#2 Posted: 31/12/2010 - 15:23

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

thanks for the reply ,

will i need to take some dollars with me , or will the vendors take baht

#3 Posted: 31/12/2010 - 19:10

• GoldenEarth

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2010

It's always handy to have some dollars, usually at the borders they'll charge $10 or 500bt for the entry permit, 500bt works out to be just over $15 so try & pay in dollar if you can. Pretty much everything you'll pay for will be charged in Baht, same in Tachilek

#4 Posted: 2/1/2011 - 18:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.