Burma forum

Trying to visit Yangon-Bagan-Inle Lake in 8 Days by land- possible?

• suswati37

Click here to learn more about suswati37
    Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Hi all

I was wondering if you could help me, I am travelling to Myanmar in January and I want to take the bus overland to Bagan from Yangon (if there is one) then to Inle Lake and back to Yangon in about 8 days. Is this possible? Also how much are the buses, and how do I book it? Any suggestions to how much time I should allocate for each place? Thanks!

#1 Posted: 26/12/2010 - 14:16

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yes it's possible but will be very knackering.

You can get a decent overnight A/C bus from Yangon to Inle. The easiest way to book a ticket would be through your guest house in Yangon but they will of course add some commission for the service. Travel agents in the centre of town tend to have cheaper prices for transport so it might be worth asking around.

Most people describe the bus ride between Bagan and Inle as the worst bus trip of their lives. Might be worth flying this leg... if you get an 8am flight it gives you practically a whole day in Inle. Otherwise the sole bus option from Bagan leaves at 4am and gets to Inle some 16 hours later, depending on breakdowns etc. You waste a day. Flights on Air Mandalay were $61, Air Bagan was a few dollars more.

Air Yangon has been grounded since early December BTW... no Air Yangon flights any more and Air Mandalay is using Myanmar Air planes for some of its flights. According to someone from Air Mandalay, the company only possesses 3 planes ....and one (maybe two now) are not flying due to technical problems. The guy assured me they had chosen the best Myanma Airways planes, checked that they were OK and that the crew was 100% Air Mandalay, including the pilot.

Coming back from Inle you can get an overnight bus. They all leave the junction at Shwe Nuang (sp?) around 2 or 3pm and arrive in Yangon around 5-6am.

#2 Posted: 26/12/2010 - 14:53

• suswati37

Click here to learn more about suswati37
    Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for that, how is the bus from Yangon to Bagan? Because I was hoping not to have to return to a place that I had already been to for example: Yangon-Inle Lake-Bagan-Yangon or Yangon-Bagan-Inle Lake-Yangon. Which would be better do you think?

#3 Posted: 26/12/2010 - 15:37

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I flew to Bagan in order to meet up with a friend who was on a tight schedule and then went to Inle Lake afterwards so can't give any feedback about what the Yangon-Bagan bus is like. From what I heard it sounds similar to the one I got from Inle back to Yangon though. Pretty comfortable (by Burmese standards) but the A/C was ferociously cold, bring plenty warm clothes with you.

The journey time from Inle back to Yangon was about 15 hours, The bus I took left from the road junction at around 3pm and arrived in Yangon around 6am. I think the journey time from Yangon to Bagan is similar but don't know what the schedule is. Ask at your GH when you get there.

I don't think it makes much difference which place you go to first but you may want to stay a bit longer in Bagan than Inle. At Inle, one full day trip on the lake would suffice at a pinch to see the highlights whereas you can easily spend a few days in Bagan wandering about looking at the temples. It's worth renting a horse and cart in Bagan on the first day if you can find people to share so that you have an idea of where things are. A horsecart costs 8,000-12,000 Kyats depending on your bargaining powers and the number of passengers. The following days you can rent a bicycle to get around and explore on your own. (1,500 Kyats/day)

#4 Posted: 27/12/2010 - 07:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Cheap Hostels in Myanmar? (Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake) ... By Spasmic on 12 Jan 2014 1 1554 12 Jan 2014
Mandalay to Bagan to Inle Lake ... By igormozzilli on 6 Feb 2014 9 4107 16 Jun 2014
Accomodation in Bagan and Inle Lake ... By sunnyzak on 12 Dec 2010 7 8261 6 Aug 2011
Yangon - Inle Lake Transfer ... By blazej on 19 Dec 2009 2 6607 6 Aug 2011
From Inle Lake to Yangon, stop in Bago? ... By apeiron75 on 30 Oct 2013 3 1521 1 Nov 2013
Heading North, finishing in Mandalay. Bagan or Inle Lake first? ... By mitchwest on 17 Sep 2013 2 1206 19 Sep 2013
Need help with Itinerary : Yangon - Sittwe - Mrauk U - Bagan - Yangon ... By Newkid on 21 Sep 2011 18 8026 15 Dec 2011
Yangon to Bagan ... By babiguling on 19 Apr 2010 7 9039 6 Aug 2011
Bagan-Ngapali-Yangon by bus? ... By KatMachine on 8 Jan 2012 2 3182 18 Feb 2012
Cooking classes Yangon or Bagan ... By tazzalenghe on 17 Nov 2010 1 3220 6 Aug 2011