Burma forum

May or June in Burma?

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

I'm planning to spend 3-4 weeks travelling in Burma during a two-month trip from around 27th April until 2nd July. The decision now is whether to go to Burma first in May and then elsewhere (probably Northern Thailand and Laos) or tour elsewhere first and go to Burma in June. The rough plan includes visiting Mandalay and surrounds (Shwebo, Monywa, maybe trekking near Hsipaw), Yangon and surrounds, Mawlamyine & Hpa-an... Going to skip Bagan and Inle at least.

Both months are quite off-season, it seems, but weather- and transportation-wise, which would be better? I take it May would be very hot and June more rainy, but I'm not sure which I'd prefer. I don't really mind temperatures up to 38-39 C or so, but the 45-46 C in India last summer was definitely too much. I've been to other SEA countries in the rainy season many times, and definitely enjoyed it, but I guess the already difficult (overland) transportation might be even trickier.

#1 Posted: 16/1/2011 - 01:45

• Advertisement

• bl0u2011

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2011

Raining season starts from June - Sep in Burma, May will be a dryer month which is a bonus!

#2 Posted: 19/1/2011 - 21:05

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Lother, I'd recommend doing Burma first, then catching your breath in Thailand afterwards. Also, I think that Thailand and Laos would be much better places to be in when the rains start to fall.

Enjoy!

#3 Posted: 9/2/2011 - 22:38

• Lother

Joined Travelfish
    12th May, 2006
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 31

Thanks for the replies. Got a flight to Yangon on May 6th now, yay!

#4 Posted: 9/2/2011 - 23:27

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Enjoy. It's a fabulous country!

#5 Posted: 10/2/2011 - 00:54

• timvorner

Joined Travelfish
    12th April, 2011

Hello Lother....

frankly saying you have planned a great trip....Your decision to visit Burma first is the good one..Visiting Burma is totally a great experience of the life....You will definitely love their culture,food,landscapes and the behavior of the people too... So don't confuse...just go there and have a blast...

Tim Vorner.

To know about villa click on:- villa calella and location pals.

#6 Posted: 12/4/2011 - 13:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.