Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

May or June in Burma?

Posted by Lother on 16/1/2011 at 01:45

I'm planning to spend 3-4 weeks travelling in Burma during a two-month trip from around 27th April until 2nd July. The decision now is whether to go to Burma first in May and then elsewhere (probably Northern Thailand and Laos) or tour elsewhere first and go to Burma in June. The rough plan includes visiting Mandalay and surrounds (Shwebo, Monywa, maybe trekking near Hsipaw), Yangon and surrounds, Mawlamyine & Hpa-an... Going to skip Bagan and Inle at least.

Both months are quite off-season, it seems, but weather- and transportation-wise, which would be better? I take it May would be very hot and June more rainy, but I'm not sure which I'd prefer. I don't really mind temperatures up to 38-39 C or so, but the 45-46 C in India last summer was definitely too much. I've been to other SEA countries in the rainy season many times, and definitely enjoyed it, but I guess the already difficult (overland) transportation might be even trickier.

#1 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by bl0u2011 on 19/1/2011 at 21:05

Raining season starts from June - Sep in Burma, May will be a dryer month which is a bonus!

#2 bl0u2011 has been a member since 19/1/2011. Posts: 1

Posted by Tilapia on 9/2/2011 at 22:38

Lother, I'd recommend doing Burma first, then catching your breath in Thailand afterwards. Also, I think that Thailand and Laos would be much better places to be in when the rains start to fall.

Enjoy!

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by Lother on 9/2/2011 at 23:27

Thanks for the replies. Got a flight to Yangon on May 6th now, yay!

#4 Lother has been a member since 12/5/2006. Location: Earth. Posts: 214

Posted by Tilapia on 10/2/2011 at 00:54

Enjoy. It's a fabulous country!

#5 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by timvorner on 12/4/2011 at 13:13

Hello Lother....

frankly saying you have planned a great trip....Your decision to visit Burma first is the good one..Visiting Burma is totally a great experience of the life....You will definitely love their culture,food,landscapes and the behavior of the people too... So don't confuse...just go there and have a blast...

Tim Vorner.

To know about villa click on:- villa calella and location pals.

#6 timvorner has been a member since 12/4/2011. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.