Burma forum

to and from the airport in Burma

• luke106

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2011

First trip to Burma,

Was wondering what is the best way to get from the airport in Yangon to the hotel - and how much it should cost. Have no idea and can imagine getting fairly ripped off without knowing anything.

Also, I am only going for a week and want to see one thing other than Yangon. Was thinking Bagan - what would be the best (and most time-efficient) way to go there? And if possible. where to book the ticket. I am in Bangkok now if there are any travel agents here.

Would very much appreciate any help or advice on the above questions!

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 22/1/2011 - 20:15

• Advertisement

• kkym

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010
    Location Myanmar / Burma

The best way is to go by a taxi. It'll cost you about US$ 7-8 for the whole taxi.
    Just fly to Bagan. The bus will take you about 13 hrs. You can book the tickets at Sunfar Travel in BKK. There should be some other agents of Air Bagan. Search on the net.
    Have a nice visit.

#2 Posted: 22/1/2011 - 22:42

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

It might be hard to get a seat on a flight if you don't book a flight several days in advance.

AFAIK Yangon Air is still grounded. They stopped flying in early December and there was no news of them starting up again when I left Myanmar at the end of December.

Booking internal flights from outside Myanmar isn't very easy, but I did find one travel agent who said they could do it. Vega Travel, Sukhumvit Soi11/1, nearest skytrain is Nana. There's a Vega travel agent near the Trader Hotel in Yangon too. For some reason it's often cheaper to buy flights from a travel agent in Myanmar with the airlines themselves so it might be worth trying them. However you need to book on weekday mornings... seems the airlines have very limited office hours. I tried at 3pm and it was too late!

I just googled and found theAirBagan agents in Bangkok too.

http://www.airbagan.com/airbagan-agents.htm

You can google Mandalay agents. Maybe they have an office in BKK too.

#3 Posted: 23/1/2011 - 17:53

• luke106

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2011

thank you everyone for the helpful replies - i really appreciate it!

#4 Posted: 29/1/2011 - 09:51

• monirz77

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2011

Taking the overnight 13 hr bus is not bad at all, more than I expected. The trip was an interesting journey itself! I met other travellers where we end up staying at the same guest house.

I dunno about you, I learned to like taking buses more than flying. Myanmar people are friendly. On bus stops, I like the fact that I can just sit on any table and chat with the locals (that is, if they speak English). They even offer you their food!
    I got to know more about their cuisine :)

Taking a bus gave me a little glimpse of what life is like in the countryside. I could have flown but I'd never been exposed to local (Burmese) music videos and movies. But that's me, I make lemons out of lemonade.

I even met a Chinese girl who's been living in Inle Lake who was willing to exchange my $1 bills for kyats as I was running low. An Economics grad helping out with her parents' business. Experience like this makes my travel more remarkable and meaningful.

#5 Posted: 17/3/2011 - 10:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.