Burma forum

internet in burma (myanmar)

• sarahandclau

Joined Travelfish
    15th December, 2006

Posted from within Vietnam.

does anybody know how easy it is to send/receive e-mails in burma?? are there many internetcorners?? i heard that many providers are forbidden, so what would be a good mail address to use???
    thanks a lot!!!

#1 Posted: 20/12/2006 - 21:47

• Advertisement

• andorj

Joined Travelfish
    25th December, 2006

Was there in June and sending e-mails was no problem. It cost us about $1.00 to send to one address when we were in Bagan and also in Yangon. Getting on to your email provider may be another problem. Tho we did once get on to Yahoo. Believe it or not it took about 30 minutes for us to log on and also took knowledge of some secret internet address to try and bypass the govt. block. Another problem you will have is unreliable electricity. When we did finally get on Yahoo the electricity went out - get use to it it happens a lot - so you can understand why people don't bother and wait til they return to Thailand to e-mail and send snail mail, too. Whatever happens it is a trip of a lifetime! p.s. try posting on Thorntree they have real experts.

#2 Posted: 25/12/2006 - 03:16

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

from what i understand, there are internet cafes and they are just as cheap as elsewhere in the region. they are useful for a bit of web surfing, but most of the yahoo and hotmail-based email websites are blocked. there are frequent, even daily workarounds, but like andorj says, it makes everything so slow and painful that it is better to just wait until you are back in thailand or wherever your next stop may be. if you like playing online games, the cafes in burma can at least accomodate that. regards.

#3 Posted: 28/12/2006 - 11:18

• peaceinBURM-
    Anow

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2010

I was there in December 2009 and I didn't find internet particularly painful at all. I expected the worst, but it was actually okay! gmail no problem, facebook no problem either. BUT the big problem is the 'screenshots' that governmental-linked internet cafes do sometimes (like, ever 5 minutes? not sure!). to identify government-linked internet cafes is a bit tricky. just don't write anything sticky during your stay

#4 Posted: 17/3/2010 - 23:22

• andyman3000

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Internet is very slow in most places. Wifi doesn't exist in any hostel. Sending emails is no problem, but forget getting anything else serious done (like booking flights) unless you are in big cities. Access tends to be faster in the morning. You can get pretty decent connection speeds at "The Castle" internet cafe in Yangon. If you are experiencing problems accessing certain websites, try using https instead of http. This is how you get Gmail working at least.

#5 Posted: 30/4/2011 - 15:02

• riverspot

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

No problems with internet - just a bit of patience required from you young things accustomed to huge bandwidth .... the real benefit of a less speedy internet is that it will provide a reason for leaving your Facebook fiddling and getting out and meeting some really friendly people.

#6 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 19:56

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I think it varies. I was in Bagan for 10 days and the internet only worked twice the whole time I was there. Reason: Some VIP general was planning to pay a visit and the internet was apparently considered a "security risk".

Hotmail and Yahoo are difficult. Gmail is usually OK but the best way would probably be to get some less well known email provider. I think it would be far less likely to get blocked by the govt censors...just a hunch. Send the new email addy to your contacts before you go.

#7 Posted: 13/7/2011 - 02:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Do you do Myanmar/Burma? ... By alisonmilliken on 29 Mar 2007 9 8989 6 Aug 2011
Burma/Myanmar ... By JoHe59 on 17 Jan 2008 1 5459 18 Jan 2008
Photography in Burma/Myanmar ... By 9preciousGems on 28 Apr 2011 8 6855 23 Mar 2012
Burma / Myanmar or Laos ? ... By adapshine on 6 Jan 2013 9 6537 4 Apr 2013
Travelfish on Burma (Myanmar) ... By somtam2000 on 17 Oct 2008 12 22358 12 Aug 2014
burma / myanmar air travel within and out ... By ilikrshortsongs on 3 Dec 2009 8 6009 6 Aug 2011
5 days in Burma/Myanmar ... By kanda on 7 Jan 2014 1 910 11 Feb 2014
burma / myanmar - March, anyone? ... By majkel on 9 Feb 2012 1 1749 12 Feb 2012
Where to spend New Years Eve in Burma/Myanmar ... By jimp41 on 29 Sep 2013 2 1390 2 Oct 2013
Christmas Trip to Burma/Myanmar ... By JacqualineCheng on 12 Oct 2013 1 816 13 Nov 2013