Burma forum

Burma - 10 day itinerary

• globetrotti-
    ngkl

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hi,

I'm planning on visiting Burma for 10 days at the end of April. I want to fit in as much as possible but at the same time want to be there long enough to appreciate what I'm seeing! What would be a good itinerary for 10 days in Burma?

Also, how much is the average internal flight? Would it be possible to see the big 4 if I were to fly everywhere?

Thanks,

Karen

#1 Posted: 8/2/2011 - 06:49

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

It would be possible to see the big 4 (Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle) but if it were me I'd cut out Mandalay to leave more time for Inle and Bagan.

You could do Yangon -Bagan-Inle-Yangon OK in 10 days. IMO Bagan is worth a bit more time than Inle.

Spend a day in Yangon on arrival and use the time to arrange flights, change money etc and visit the Shwedagon Paya. Travel agents in Yangon often have cheaper fares than the airlines themselves for some reason.

The flights are about $100 each and I'd recommend you fly between Bagan and Inle if nowhere else. Old non A/C buses leave Bagan at 4am and it takes all day to get to Inle on a bad road. Not only would it eat up a whole day but it would also be a very uncomfortable and tiring journey in April which is the hottest time of year. There are fairly comfortable overnight A/C buses between Yangon and Inle though. While more tiring than a flight, this would be a cheaper option if the flights are too expensive for you.

#2 Posted: 8/2/2011 - 07:49

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I'd stick closer to Yangon. 10 days really isn't a lot of time in Burma, especially when at least two of those days will consist of the day you arrive and the day you depart (and usually the day before, as well.) So the less time you can spend traveling around the better. And, as SBE has rightly pointed out, transport is slow and often the roads are awful. Buses are also highly prone to breakdowns, as well. Last, but not least, it's gonna be HOT! You don't want to be stuck in one of those crappy buses when the thermometre is about to bust.

Consider a loop that consists of Mawlamyaing, Hpa-an, Thaton, Kyaikhtiyo (the Golden Rock), Bago, and back to Yangon. You can take the train to Mawlamyaing, ferry to Hpa-an, pick-up to Thaton and Kyaikhtiyo, then bus back to Bago and Yangon. Short distances, amazing places!

Regardless of where you go, you'll love what you see. Just try not to waste too much of that time on buses.

You could also do a very cool boat trip from Yangon to Pathein. I think it takes about 18 hours each way. Boat travel is great there. Plus, you'd be out on the water during what is one of the hottest times of the year.

#3 Posted: 9/2/2011 - 05:18

• globetrotti-
    ngkl

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks for the detailed info guys, its a big help.

Looks like I've got a tough decision to make! :) From what I've seen so far though, it looks like an amazing country so I'm sure I will be back to see everything I miss out on this time!

#4 Posted: 10/2/2011 - 00:58

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Ya ... man, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes!!!

={:?D)

#5 Posted: 10/2/2011 - 02:15

• kkym

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2010
    Location Myanmar / Burma

Different opinion.
    If you intend to fly you can do big 4 in 10 days. Please see the suggestive itinerary just to get an idea.
    Day 1. Arrival
    Day 2. Yangon-Bagan ( morning flight ), Bagan Sightseeing
    Day 3. Bagan Sightseeing
    Day 4. Bagan-Mandalay ( morning flight ), Mandalay Sightseeing
    Day 5. AM: Excursion to Mingun ( By boat ), PM: Excursion to Amarapura & Sagaing
    Day 6. Mandalay-Heho ( morning flight ), Heho-Pindaya-Inle ) By car )
    Day 7. Inle Lake Sightseeing
    Day 8. Visit Nyaung Shwe and fly back to Yangon with afternoon flight.
    Day 9. Yangon Sightseeing
    Day 10. Departure.
    All the air tickets can be arranged in advance through a local travel agency. You do not need to pay any advance. Let them wait for you at the airport and pick up and pay when you get here.
    Enjoy your visit.

#6 Posted: 16/2/2011 - 23:19

• john153

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2011

hiiiii..i have something exciting for you ,you can find find here whatever you want..

top 10 social networking sites

#7 Posted: 11/4/2011 - 14:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.