Burma forum

Mandalay or Inle Lake

• johnthornton

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2011

Going later this year but have limited time and can only fit in one or the other. Would appreciate any advice

#1 Posted: 9/3/2011 - 22:59

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd say that where you go might depend on how much time you have, weather, and what your interests are. Both are loaded with fantastic sites, and both are worth visiting. Things to consider when trying to decide ...

- The road over the mountains to Inle is (at least, it wasn't) very good. It's not paved and the dirt was ground to a fine powder when I made the journey. The trip there and back will probably be painfully slow. If it rains, you might not even get there (or out.)
    - Mandalay is much easier to get in and out of by road, air, train, and water.

- Nyaung-shwe is small, quiet and pleasant with some good places to stay and eat.
    - Mandalay is big, sprawling, and also has good places to stay and eat. Excellent Shan restaurants.

- Inle Lake and the area has some lovely villages (In Dein, for example), great hiking opportunities, floating gardens, cottage industries, and such. Touring the lake is great. It's a fantastic place for doing things outdoors. I found it to be very peaceful and relaxing.
    - Mandalay has deserted capitals of former kingdoms (Saigang, Mingun), grand temples and Buddhas (Mahamuni!!!), and some very special neighbourhoods (Mahamuni and Amarapura, for example.) Life on and along the river is fascinating and worth seeing. Of course there is the palace and Mandalay Hill (but I skipped both so can't comment.) Mandalay also has its industries ... wall hangings, marionettes, carvings, if you're shopping for souveneirs. It's not really a good city for walking, but it is easy to get around and transport is inexpensive. Using a trishaw will get you where you want to go, and will usually provide you with a knowledgeable tour guide, as well.

- If you want to get out of Nyaung-shwe there are villages, caves, and other places to explore.
    - If you have time and want to get out of Mandalay for a few days, you can hop on the 10-hour ferry to Bagan and spend a few days there seeing one of the most spectacular places in the world. Recommended.

Good luck making your decision. You can't lose, regardless of which place you decide on.

#2 Posted: 10/3/2011 - 06:19

• mooball

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2010
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 132

For me, Inle Lake all the way. It's a nightmare journey there, but the atmosphere around there is magic.

#3 Posted: 26/3/2011 - 20:00

• bkkpk

Joined Travelfish
    30th January, 2011

As far as cities go, I enjoyed Yangon more than Mandalay, and Inle Lake was probably my favorite place I went to in all of Myanmar.

#4 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 15:26

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Inle isn't my favorite place in all of Myanmar but I preferred it to Mandalay for sure. (Didn't have Tilapia as a guide when I was in Mandalay mind you!).

You could always fly to Inle from Yangon if time is short but there are quite decent buses from Yangon to Inle nowadays. The road over the mountains seemed improved last December compared to my previous visit 5-6 years ago too. It's still quite a long bus trip (15 hours? can't remember exactly!) but the bus I took last December was quite new so it wasn't too bad at all compared to the 24 hour nightmare bus ride from Yangon the first time I went there. (Tip: Try and use a bus company that doesn't put wee plastic seats in the aisles for extra passengers and bring warm clothes because the A/C is usually ferociously cold)

#5 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 15:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mandalay to Bagan to Inle Lake ... By igormozzilli on 6 Feb 2014 9 7469 16 Jun 2014
Heading North, finishing in Mandalay. Bagan or Inle Lake first? ... By mitchwest on 17 Sep 2013 2 1330 19 Sep 2013
Cheap Hostels in Myanmar? (Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake) ... By Spasmic on 12 Jan 2014 1 1750 12 Jan 2014
INLE LAKE,October Tip ... By bootstar on 22 Jul 2011 1 2255 6 Aug 2011
Is Inle Lake worth it? ... By linjingyi on 10 Apr 2010 13 12506 6 Aug 2011
cost for trekking to Inle Lake ... By ccalvin09 on 5 Sep 2011 1 2479 20 Oct 2011
Accomodation in Bagan and Inle Lake ... By sunnyzak on 12 Dec 2010 7 8708 6 Aug 2011
Yangon - Inle Lake Transfer ... By blazej on 19 Dec 2009 2 6800 6 Aug 2011
Trekking Kalaw to Inle Lake ... By girovago78 on 15 Oct 2014 0 214 15 Oct 2014
hotel in Nanpan or south Inle Lake ... By sylbear on 4 Jun 2012 0 1403 4 Jun 2012