Burma forum

Burma Tourist Visa at Bangkok embassy

• hsoa

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2010

Has anyone done this recently?

How many days is required for processing of an application? (In my case, a US passport)
    For example, if I submit everything on Tuesday, when can I pick up the visa?

Can anyone confirm that air tickets into and out of Burma are not required for getting the visa, and only photos and a passport are necessary? (I like the flexibility of not booking the exit flight yet.)

Citing an unpredictable process, travel agencies in Bangkok do not handle applications for Burma, so they are not as helpful with information as they usually are with countries in the region.

TIA

#1 Posted: 18/4/2011 - 16:00

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I went to Myanmar last December so it's not super recent.

I'm pretty sure the Myanmar embassy requires you to show a return ticket ....it didn't even cross my mind to attempt to get a tourist visa without one. I've heard they're quite lax about overstay...just pay the fine. However changing your Air Asia flight might be quite arduous from inside the country as internet access there is somewhat problematic.

I think it took 3 days to process my (ordinary) tourist visa application. There was an express service available too...cost about 50% more and I think you got the visa next day.

Things could well be taking longer than usual right now though. It's impossible to guess how long it would take to get a visa if you made an application tomorrow (Tuesday) as there's bound to be a big backlog due to the embassy being closed for Songkran last week...you'll just have to go and see I'm afraid.

If you haven't already seen it, it's worth checking out this site for useful tips and information too.

http://travelhappy.info/thailand/myanmar-visa-in-bangkok-how-to-get-it/

#2 Posted: 18/4/2011 - 20:41

• dano_b

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009

When I got a tourist visa for Myanmar a couple months ago we were not required to actually show a return ticket. Since we had heard different stories about whether we would be able to obtain a visa or not, we went to get the visa before booking our tickets. They did ask for our arrival and return date, so we just chose dates outside of the possible dates so we were covered either way. Our visas took 3 days to process, although express it available, as SBE pointed out.

#3 Posted: 19/4/2011 - 04:46

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I was there quite a while ago, but when I applied for my visa (in Ottawa) I sent in my passport and application and there was no requirement (at that time, anyway) to provide any flight info of any sort. I was told that the visa would be good for 6 months from the time it was issued and that I'd have to travel within that time period. This might be different now.

#4 Posted: 19/4/2011 - 09:50

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Just to add to the confusion...

I called the Myanmar embassy in Paris last year. They told me the validity was 3 months.

Yet the visa in my passport says:

-Valid from 30 November until 29 December.
    -Duration of stay: 28 days
    -Type T. Entries S
    -Date of issue: 30 November

ie the visa that was issued by the Embassy in Bangkok was only valid one month.

Also I notice the return flight number is scrawled on it by hand. (I can't remember if that was done by the consulate or by immigration when I entered the country...probably the latter as it's on the entry stamp).

#5 Posted: 19/4/2011 - 14:24

• heddenswest

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

Can anyone offer any updated information about getting a Burmese visa (either in Vietnam or Bangkok)?
    I'm American and will be heading there in October.
    Hoping to get the visa as easily as others have noted but would greatly appreciate anything that's been updated! (cost, length of stay permitted, visa processing time, etc.)

Thanks!

#6 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 15:38

• mandylinda

Joined Travelfish
    28th June, 2011

hi, i wanna know too. I've searched the internet but found nothing helpful.

#7 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 14:40

• riverspot

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2008
    Total reviews: 2

We got a visa in Bangkok a couple of years ago. Same day service (for cheap rate) with no evidence of exit arrangements. Very friendly even when we recorded entry point from Muse. Internet in Burma was okay - just listen to locals about how to skirt blockages

#8 Posted: 12/7/2011 - 19:46

• heddenswest

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

Anyone have any specific and recent details about acquiring a visa for Burma in Bangkok? I do know I can get a same-day visa but I also know that that could change and that the Embassy office in Bangkok are often closed, or rather, they have very short working hours.

I'm also interested in getting this visa in Hanoi. Has anyone done that recently?

Thank you!

#9 Posted: 13/7/2011 - 07:35

• think87

Click here to learn more about think87
    Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

I've read a few blogs various places that seem to indicate that Burmese visas can still be done via travel agents. Anyone know if this is still possible? And if so for a USA passport?

#10 Posted: 14/8/2011 - 11:01

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Indian tourist visa in Bangkok ... By jbarne19 on 19 Aug 2011 2 2592 22 Sep 2011
Getting 2 month tourist visa for China in Bangkok ... By williamtaylor on 16 Jan 2010 0 2911 16 Jan 2010
Laos 60 day visa from embassy ... By somtam2000 on 21 Feb 2009 4 2863 21 Feb 2009
Thai Embassy in Malaysia for visa run ... By Arigato9 on 3 Mar 2013 2 1694 20 Mar 2013
vietnam embassy bangkok and Tet ... By sayadian on 2 Feb 2010 0 1535 2 Feb 2010
Thai Visa in Phnom Pehn Embassy ... By hsoa on 3 Apr 2011 3 4010 22 Apr 2011
Thailand Visa from Phnom Penh Thai Embassy can it be done? ... By willeysr on 19 Jun 2012 1 1889 19 Jun 2012