Burma forum

Advice on Burma - Cash$

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hello There,

I have had a read around the forums and also the recent travelfish article but can't get my head around the money for Burma. In particular, what combination of denominations would people suggest to take?

Lets say I stay for 28 days and budget at $30.00 a day ($840.00). I guess I would need another $100 or $200 spare also, good idea??

If this is the case, I would appreciate any suggest as to how to break that down.

Thanks for your help

#1 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 04:00

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yeah, always wise to have a bit of spare extra cash when in Burma because you won't be able to get any more once there! Everyone travels with cash on them but theft doesn't seem to be a big problem...just take the usual precautions.

You get a much better rate for big denomination notes ($100s) but you'll need plenty of crisp clean perfect smaller denomination notes too, to pay for entrance fees, guesthouses, trains etc. Last trip I erred on the side of too many small bills (partly because if any of my big notes weren't pristine enough or got creased etc I'd be up **** creek). As a consequence I lost out on exchange rates but it's also hard to get change in dollars for big notes sometimes. You don't want to be left with no option but to change $100 right at the end of your trip either ... then you'd have to change excess kyats back into hard currency.

Dunno, maybe half in hundreds ...and the other half in smaller notes?

#2 Posted: 19/5/2011 - 07:03

• KRStamm

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2007

All your bills need to be brand new! if they are not new they will not be exchanged. So I would start heading to the banks now and looking at their $100's. Also there are certain serial #s that will not be accepted. (CS is one off the top of my head). If there is a crease, dot, pen mark, fold of any kind they will not exchange your money. Ironing your money wont do- Ive met people who tried. I brought $300 in brand new $300 in 5's and the rest in $100's. Its a pain to get new $$$. Also watch what the people give you back- they may give you Kyat that isnt in circulation anymore. They did just come out with the 5000kyat bill but many places will not have change for it. Its nice to have a few but 1000's are better. I would exchange money in Yangoon at Scott Market (at least 1/2) the exchange rate gets worse the further you are from Yangoon.

#3 Posted: 31/7/2011 - 23:15

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Make sure you've got lots of $5's and $1's, as well, for cabs, ferries, admission fees, etc.

#4 Posted: 2/8/2011 - 23:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Spending your cash in Burma, were does it go? ... By Sampan on 18 Oct 2010 6 1866 6 Aug 2011