Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

entering with a cell phone... risky?

Posted by think87 on 3/8/2011 at 12:09

ill be entering burma this november and will have my unlocked global phone with me as i plan on using prepaid sims in thailand and cambodia. is it dangerous for me to take this to burma? Is this something they check for and would they keep it if they found it?

Im wondering mainly because it will be with me and its not like I can use it in Thailand and then stash in somewhere before Burma... so not sure what I should do.

Thanks

#1 think87 has been a member since 5/3/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 116
 Website 

Posted by SBE on 3/8/2011 at 14:15

Having a phone with you won't be dangerous, you just won't be able to use it there because simcards cost a fortune ($200 or something).

I had my phone with me because I needed an alarm clock. Transport often leaves very early in the morning in Myanmar.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,004
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by anotherlostsoul on 4/8/2011 at 03:30

You can bring in your phone with no issues. No need to worry.

#3 anotherlostsoul has been a member since 14/9/2009. Posts: 34

Posted by think87 on 4/8/2011 at 04:21

thanks for the info guys.

i thought i had read that it was technically illegal to bring a phone into the country but it seems its not really enforced.

#4 think87 has been a member since 5/3/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 116
 Website 

Posted by think87 on 29/8/2011 at 03:41

Heading to burma in November from the US while banks here have almost perfect notes most actual brand new notes are hard to find as most bank only get drops occasionally.

I get like new notes all time with no marks or ink but may not have that crisp feel. Some will look perfect but may have a small wrinkle etc.

Will these nearly new notes work in yangoon? i hear they are more likely to take them there even if at a lower rate.

#5 think87 has been a member since 5/3/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 116
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.