Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Kyat on the rise, now asias best performing currency

Posted by think87 on 2/9/2011 at 06:11

Article here:

http://irrawaddy.cc/article.php?art_id=21976

Given how much stronger it seems the kyat is getting would it be wise for someone like myself going to burma in a few months to change over less dollars to kyat since the exchange continues to get worse?

#1 think87 has been a member since 5/3/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 116
 Website 

Posted by SBE on 2/9/2011 at 13:24

The stronger Kyat was noticeable even last December when I was there. It was about 50% higher than it had been on my previous visit in 2005.

What percentage of your money you keep in dollars depends more on what you'll be spending it on than the exchange rate.

-Accommodation, trains, river ferry trips, flights and entry fees have to be paid for in dollars anyway.

-Food and bus journeys are generally paid for in Kyat so these things will cost tourists more because of the worse dollar exchange rate.

-Some things, like taxi fares and souvenirs, can usually be paid for in either currency.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.