Burma forum

Yangon Travel Agent

• Basil

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2007

Can anyone recommend a reliable and hopefully none too government linked travel agent in Yangon?
    I want to pre book domestic flights and maybe accomodation with them from the UK.
    (A hostage to fortune I know!).
    Thank you in advance.

#1 Posted: 5/9/2011 - 02:16

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

There's a travel agent in Bangkok called Vega that I've used before to buy air tickets (the Soi 11/1, Sukhumvit branch). Last year I inquired about booking internal Myanmar flights there. They told me it was possible but it was too late to book a flight that day (it has to be done before 3pm or something). I was leaving for Myanmar at 7am next morning so it was too late for me and I bought my ticket at my guesthouse in Yangon instead. (Many GHs and Hotels offer a fight booking service in Myanmar)

However I did notice that there was a Vega Travel agency branch near the Trader Hotel in Yangon too and the prices they were charging were cheaper than what I'd paid. (Guesthouses do of course charge a little commission).

I don't know how reliable the branch in Yangon is but it seemed quite professional and was larger than the BKK branch. I wouldn't hesitate buying my ticket there in person next time I'm in Myanmar but I'm not sure how easy it would be to do it online. Internet in Myanmar is notoriously unreliable and I don't know if you can make online credit card payments ... there are no ATMs in the country yet.

There could well be better and/or cheaper travel agents in Yangon but the Bangkok branch of Vega should have decent internet access and online payment options. You might be able to pay for the ticket with them and arrange to pick it up at their Yangon branch.

Here's the Vega website. The contact details of the Yangon branch are at the bottom of the page.

http://www.vegatravelbangkok.com/

Don't know about accommodation bookings through Vega. I stayed at the Ocean Pearl and booked with them direct. It's a decent enough GH and they offer free airport pickup service. Motherland 2 does too but it's even further away from the center of town.

#2 Posted: 5/9/2011 - 21:00

• qualitywork1

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

I have often used sevendiamondtravels.com . I have never booked anything in advance in my 5 months there. If you want to stay mid - high range then you will always get a better price via an agent. I think tourism will be busy this year though so maybe it will pay to book in advance. where are you headed?

#3 Posted: 10/11/2011 - 23:40

• Basil

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2007

Thanks - that is really useful.
    Current plan in Yangon, Bagan, Nagapali, Sittwe, Mrauk U.
    I am trying to do a mix of easy going and off the beaten track to be a holiday as well as an adventure!
    Basil.

#4 Posted: 14/11/2011 - 05:42

• scottyheath-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    30th March, 2008

Shan Yoma Travel in Yangon are very good at replying to emails and their hotel prices (for mid to upper range hotels) are less than you would pay the hotel directly.

#5 Posted: 27/1/2012 - 21:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.