Burma forum

South Burma?

• Warriorcandy

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2011

Hello all! My husband and i are traveling to Burma for our honeymoon in December. We are flying in to Bangkok and plan on applying for a visa there. We were hoping to do a south sighting seeing. we have about 10 to 12 days till we need to be back in Thailand.

We were hoping to see Rangoon, Malwaymine, Hpa An, and The Golden rock. Does this seem doable? Do you recomend we fly into Rangoon and then take train, bus or riverboat to these areas?

Thank you. All suggestions will be helpful

#1 Posted: 12/11/2011 - 11:17

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'll repost this ...

============

Hi Warriorcandy,

That's doable, but you may get tripped up by the ferry schedule from Mawlamyaing to Hpa-an if you arrive there at the wrong time. There are only a few ferries per week. It's a fantastic boat trip (amazing, actually), but if you find that you have to wait for a few days for a ferry, there is public transport going to Hpa-an (pick-ups and minivans) if you really want to get there.

If you find yourself in this situation, I don't recommend going to Hpa-an at all. Getting there by water is the best part of going to Hpa-an. The location of the town and surrounding scenery are fantastic, but if you find that you'll be wasting your few precious days waiting for a ferry in Mawlamyaing, then skip Hpa-an and go to Kinpun and walk up the mountain to the Golden Rock.

My recommendation for the Golden Rock is 1) arrive on Day 1, 2) walk up the mountain on Day 2, 3) leave Kinpun on Day 3. It's worth it. Mind-blowing. Stunning scenery and indescribable energy at the top. Go!

I recommend the train from Yangon to Motamma (or straight to Mawlamyaing). It's about 10 hours and a real adventure. It leaves from Yangon at around 7:00 am and arrives late in the afternoon in Motamma. The bridge across the river wasn't built when I was there so it may go straight across the river these days. Anyway, far better option to taking the bus.

Have fun.

#2 Posted: 14/11/2011 - 07:02

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Also, if you wanted to go further south, it's unlikely that you'd be permitted any further than Setse Beach.

#3 Posted: 14/11/2011 - 07:05

• Warriorcandy

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2011

Thank you so much Tiliapia. I really appreciate. Since you seem so well travelled through Burma can i ask: How prevelent is Malaria there?

my husband and i plan on trying to conceive in January and we will be in Burma from Dec 13 till the 23rd. I am wondering what we can do aside from Malaria pills. I can't take the pills as i am afraid they will harm my fertility (and my husbands) and we are not at liberty to wait as i have some issues. Do you take anti malaria pills when you go? Will hiking and such be safe or should we change our itinerary? thank you and if anyone else has any advice that is also appreciated.

thank you.

#4 Posted: 29/11/2011 - 18:25

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,

You'd be far better off checking more reliable sources such as the WHO which has a great interactive map that tells you pretty much everything you need to know ...

http://apps.who.int/tools/geoserver/www/ith/index.html

... though I understand why people ask in the forums.

You'll see on the map that there's low risk in Yangon and Mandalay, which is where I would assume you'll be spending most of your time. 10 days is not a long time in Burma.

No, I don't take anti-malarial medication. I burn a coil in my room after I drop and tuck-in my mosquito net if I see any. I always take some low concentration DEET for use during the insect's high activity time, but don't use it very often. I cover up. But, generally, I find that they aren't much of an issue.

Will you be safe hiking? Typically, peak activity time for the majority of mosquitoes over there is going to be around sunrise and sunset. So, if you are not hiking during these times then you shouldn't be concerned.

#5 Posted: 3/12/2011 - 10:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.