Burma forum

Burma - a few questions!!

• emcd077

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2011

Hi there, I am planning to visit Burma in Jan for the first time. I am thinking of looping from Yangon - Mawlamyainig - Hpa-an - Kyatiyo/Kinpu - Yangon. I only have a couple of weeks and don't want to rush too much. I am keen to take the boat to Hpa-an, does anyone know if this is still running, or how I could find out if it is?

Also, when getting boats and trains, is it ok to rock up on the day or should I book ahead? Is using a travel agent a good option? And if so, can anyone recommend a good one? I have travelled widely in SE Asia, but have limited time and thought of booking a few things ahead...

Also, my boyfriend is a photographer and has a quite expensive camera - will there be any problems taking this to Burma..?

All advise/recommendations would be much appreciated! Thank you!!

#1 Posted: 15/11/2011 - 02:47

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi emcd077,

Shouldn't be any trouble at all taking high-end photographic equipment into the country.

As for your questions about Yangon - Mawlamyaing - Hpa-an - Kinpun - Yangon, I've answered very similar questions quite a few times. Just do a search and you'll find loads of stuff about the loop you're wanting to do, including info on time requirements for the Golden Rock, getting to Mawlamyaing, and places to stay there. It's a fantastic route to take. If you can't find the info, I'll copy and paste it into another post.

A couple of weeks is plenty of time to do this route.

I'll add that there is a town between Hpa-an and Kinpun called Thaton. It's a charming little spot that you could stop in on the way to Kinpun. Very nice. You may also want to check out Bago on the way back to Yangon, as well.

So check out the other threads and see what you can find. There's lots there.

#2 Posted: 15/11/2011 - 07:46

• htun1997

Joined Travelfish
    15th November, 2011

Hello

Don't worry for it to take expensive camera..But if you are first time you should take taxi Yangon-Bago-Golden Rock-Hpa an-Mawlamyine. It will be worthy to take good picture.

From Hpa-an to Mawlamyine there is a local boat. But there is twice a weeks. You have to fix to catch for the boat.

It is run by Government.

#3 Posted: 15/11/2011 - 08:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.