Burma forum

Burma Motorcycle

• jimipiere

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2012

Want to head to Burma at the end of the month (jan2012) and rent a motorcycle to travel around the country. can anyone speak from experience as to the problems i will encounter. im told there are no bikes allowed in Rangoon, but that these laws are not often enforced and even less so for tourists. im also wondering if anyone can recommend a place or contact to get a decent bike. thanks from canada
    j.

#1 Posted: 15/1/2012 - 23:09

• Advertisement

• qualitywork1

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

You defo cant rent a bike in Yangon, bagan and inle lake. You can however ride one in Bagan and Inle lake. I always hire one when i can in myanmar. as myanmartours said, its good to take one from Mandalay and visit surrounding areas. Last year i hired one and went to lashio via Pyin o lyn, Hsipaw etc. Was a fantastic road , stopping off at small villages. I hired one this year in Chaugtha, hpa-an and mawlamyine. Prices seem to have dramaticaly risen though. In 2007 i was paying 5000 kyatt/day. this year i was paying 10000 kyat. that said though pretty much everything in myanmar has doubled in price in 5 years. It is now the most expensive country in SEA without a doubt.

#2 Posted: 21/1/2012 - 08:29

• jimipiere

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2012

ya rangoon for sure impossible. i was able to rent one with some difficulty in Thandwe(Ngpali beach)_ and drive pretty far into the country before being stopped at a checkpoint and sent back to the tourist area. Mandalay noproblem i rented good cheap chinese bike. Now in bagan, it seems as though im able to drive one, but renting one is all but impossible. Im on my secound day of trying to find one and not even a hint as to where it could be done. great country.

#3 Posted: 19/2/2012 - 01:13

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"It is now the most expensive country in SEA without a doubt."

I find that really surprising. I wonder what the driver is for the economic disparity? I would have thought Burma would be amongst the cheapest.

I wonder if the motorcycle policy in Rangoon will change now as the government seems to be easing restrictions across the board.

#4 Posted: 19/2/2012 - 02:09

• CanadianCan-
    uck

Joined Travelfish
    29th January, 2012

Can't rent or use a motorbike in Yangoon. But smith3 and others are correct, from what I've heard if your looking to rent one, Mandalay is the place to do so

#5 Posted: 25/3/2012 - 20:40

• PLBK

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2012

zachb - I would like to chat with you about renting a motorbike for a couple of weeks in June, as well as to talk more about your itinerary. I am thinking of doing something very similar. How do I PM you? Do you have an email address?
    Regards, Peter

#6 Posted: 9/5/2012 - 07:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.