Burma forum

7 days in Burma itinerary?

• qwertyjjj

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2008

I am doing a 3 week trip in Thailand and Burma and have about 7 days to spend in Burma.
    Is it possible to do:
    1 arrive Yangon --> overnight bus to Bagan
    2 Bagan
    3 Bagan
    4 Bagan
    5 Inle
    6 Inle
    7 Yangon
    8 flight to Bangkok

I'm wondering if this is too much travelling.
    Is there an alternative route I could do?
    Also, I'm worried that arriving in Yangon and heading out on an overnight bus might be too quick to get organised not really knowing the area.

#1 Posted: 3/3/2012 - 12:16

• Advertisement

• honeybanny

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2012

Hey actually 7 days is not too long. I did within 7 days Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay as well as Inle Lake. It was an orginized trip therefore we are able to do so. If you like to orginize everything by your selve, maybe it would be a problem. I also would not so keen to do a bus ride, the streets are very bad and I think you will be not able to do the trip Yangon / Bagan overnight. Domestic flights are not soo expensive. Let me know if you like to get some contact information, who can help you with domestiv flights, route, hotels etc.

#2 Posted: 3/3/2012 - 18:32

• qwertyjjj

Joined Travelfish
    16th May, 2008

I also thought this might be an option but then I would miss out on Bagan?
    "Consider a loop that consists of Mawlamyaing, Hpa-an, Thaton, Kyaikhtiyo (the Golden Rock), Bago, and back to Yangon. You can take the train to Mawlamyaing, ferry to Hpa-an, pick-up to Thaton and Kyaikhtiyo, then bus back to Bago and Yangon. Short distances, amazing places!"

#3 Posted: 4/3/2012 - 03:39

• Royalsithu

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2012
    Location Myanmar / Burma

Hi!
    Yes ,your worry is correct . There are about 4 overnight bus to Bagan from Yangon .
    But , you should try to get the tickets by 24 hours . Even your Arrival in Morning , it will be rash to buy tickets . Now , it is staring the hot season so it will be very hot in Bagan . 2 days are enough for Bagan and you should try in Inle and around ( Kalaw - Pindaya) more days .
    So , Here is my suggestion itinerary ;
    Day 1; Arrival and try to get the bus tickets for Bagan
    Day 2: Yangon _ Bagan by overnight bus
    Day 3 : Bagan
    Day 4: Bagan
    Day 5: Bagan sightseeing in morning and fly to Inle with evening flight
    Day 6: Inle
    Day 7 : Indein Sightseeing and fly back to Yangon by evening flight
    Day 8 : Departure
    Note 1: You can buy for your overnight bus tickets for Bagan at Aung San Stadium in front of Railway Station .
    Note 2 : You have to catch your bus at AungMingalar bus Station .
    Note 3 : You should have a day in Yangon before your departure because Myanmar airlines are not reliable So in case if the internal flight are cancel or delay , you will be miss for your international flight .
    Be Lucky !

#4 Posted: 5/3/2012 - 05:19

• lisaclarkep-
    hoto

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2012

Hi!

7 days isn't that much time to explore such an amazing country, so it's a great idea that you've decided to stick to going to 3 places.

Can I just start off by saying that overnight bus trips in Myanmar are absolutely horrific. I took a 14 hour overnight trip from Mandalay to Yangoon at the end of 2010 and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Although a lot of people would argue that it's all part of experiencing the local culture, this experience is one I wish I had wiped from my memory. If you plan on doing it to save on a nights accommodation costs, don't expect to get any sleep! From the moment you step on board you'll find it hard to block out the blaring karaoke music...even with the thickest earplugs. And 14 hours of it results in one really bad headache. Pile this on top of the poor roads, driving skills and frequent local rest stops, you might just want to fly there. Flights are surprisingly inexpensive within Burma and not difficult to organise.

The day you arrive in Yangoon, once you've checked into your accommodation you can book your flights through one of the travel agents in the city (even for flying out the next day). If you're worried about your money going to the government, just make sure the agent doesn't book you with Myanma Airways or Yangon Airways (more info here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yangon_Airways).

Also, if you spend a full day and night in Yangoon first up (day 1) and fly out the next day, you could add an extra day at Inle Lake (instead of the last day in Yangoon).

Have fun!!

#5 Posted: 1/4/2012 - 05:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary for 30 days in Burma ... By steviej on 25 Jun 2012 2 1940 26 Jun 2012
66 days in Sth east asia - including Burma: please feel free to fine tune this hectic itinerary ... By johnno on 7 Jun 2010 3 2377 7 Jun 2010