Burma forum

mai sai extended visa

  • plexo

    Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2012
    Posts: 2

    Good Day,

    I'm looking to get from Chiang Mai to Bagan via Mai Sai crossing and Mandalay Air. Is it possible to get an regular visa at Mai Sai. the only references I've come across are the visa limited to Tachiliek.


    #1 Posted: 5/3/2012 - 09:42

  • Advertisement

  • Royalsithu

    Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2012
    Location Myanmar / Burma
    Posts: 23

    There is no Directly flight from Chiang Mai to Bagan .....You can't get Visa at Mai Sai .

    #2 Posted: 5/3/2012 - 21:19

  • plexo

    Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2012
    Posts: 2


    Regarding the visa..thanks. My apologies to the board as I was being lazy and found the info with a little more digging.

    As for getting from Chiang Mai to Bagan or Mandalay....what I was looking at was a bus from Chiang Mai to the border at Mai Sai. Cross to Tachiliek and then catch an Air Mandalay flight to Tachiliek=>Mandalay (daily flights per their website).

    Assuming Air Mandalay is reliable, and if I had a visa in advance, this route seems maybe easier than Chiang Mai=>Bangkok=>Yangon=>Mandalay.

    Anyone done this, or the reverse which might be even easier?

    #3 Posted: 6/3/2012 - 10:25

  • steviej

    Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Posts: 265
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 32

    As far as I'm aware you'll be restricted to the immediate area around Mai Sai/Tachiliek up to as far as Keng Tung.

    #4 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 04:41

  • Royalsithu

    Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2012
    Location Myanmar / Burma
    Posts: 23

    Hi! We can't say all of Myanmar airlines are reliable .
    If you enter to Myanmar from another place ( expect Yangon ) , you will be get only 7 days or 14 days Visa . And you have to leave your passport at border immigration . So , that way is very risk .
    I would like to recommend the second way ( Chaing Mai - Bangkok - Yangon - Mandalay ) .

    #5 Posted: 7/3/2012 - 21:25

  • stoneman

    Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Posts: 100
    Total reviews: 9

    From all my recent research there is no way you are going to cross the border at Mai Sae without leaving your passport at immigration ( to ensure you return same day). Hopefully, despite the military regime, border crossings for foreigners will be allowed in the near future.

    #6 Posted: 3/5/2012 - 06:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
indonesia extended visa ... By beauone11 on 7 Oct 2011 2 1745 7 Oct 2011
90 day vietnam visa from uk or get 30 day extended from nam ... By valis on 21 Oct 2010 2 2616 6 Nov 2010
Visa for extended travel in Asia ... By drallanharris on 27 Jul 2006 4 2282 31 Aug 2006
Thailand tourist visa fee exemption extended ... By bakpakk on 3 May 2010 0 3032 3 May 2010