Burma forum

Burma update

• giba

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2012

Just came back from Burma, a few updates on practicalities:

VISA: (this applies to the embassy in Bangkok) you do not need to provide an itinerary for your trip; it takes two working days to get the visa, the express one is available at 1300bath (instead of 1020) but you have to give proof you need it in a hurry, so take the plane ticket with you, or you will face an unceremonious denial.

MONEY: There are two "official" money exchange shops outside Boyake market, offering a better rate than the black market. The hotel I was staying in (Yoma One, do not go there, for $28 I got a room that smelled of dog, and they kindly arrange airport pick-up for a cool $15 when the going rate in $6) had a rate of 790k for $1, the black market 805k,the above mentioned "official" places 815k. These rates refer to $100 notes, and yes they still need to be in mint conditions and at least from 2006.

A final word of advice: Burma is much more expensive than you think, work out your budget and then bring with you 50% more. And for the Europeans reading this, do not bother with dollars, you can exchange euro at 1000k (no idea whether they would take the 200 or 500 notes though). I wish I had known this before, so I could have avoided the E > Bath > $ > khat merry-go-round, and the pilgrimage to three different banks in Bangkok to find perfect-looking bills.

#1 Posted: 31/3/2012 - 10:41

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.