Burma forum

How expensive is Burma?

• AngusW

Joined Travelfish
    4th April, 2012

Hey,

So I'm planning roughly 2 weeks in Burma. Making my way from Yangon to the Mae Sot/Myawaddy border overland.

How expensive is Burma in relation to Thailand, Laos etc..?

Also can you think of any must sees along my route? I want to see that Golden rock...

Cheers!!

#1 Posted: 6/4/2012 - 21:55

• Advertisement

• Royalsithu

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2012
    Location Myanmar / Burma

Hi!
    You can see Golden Rock in your route , it is on the way of Myawaddy.
    Have a good trip!

#2 Posted: 9/4/2012 - 01:20

• giba

Joined Travelfish
    31st March, 2012

Golden rock was smaller than I thought, still worth seeing it thought. In terms of cost: in my experience accommodation is way more expensive than Thailand, and the standards are pretty low. The only cheap one I found was in Kyakto (where the golden rock is) at the sea Sar hotel, 2 minutes walk from the bus station. I think I paid $9. Everywhere else I never paid less than $14. (for a single room)

However, since you are going when the high season is over, prices may go down.

#3 Posted: 9/4/2012 - 08:09

• jthomas

Joined Travelfish
    5th April, 2012

what a fun trip!

#4 Posted: 9/4/2012 - 13:35

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"Making my way from Yangon to the Mae Sot /Myawaddy border overland."

Have you researched whether it's actually possible to do that? I read that the Mae Sot border reopened last December but that doesn't mean foreigners can use this crossing to leave Myanmar. AFAIK you can't exit the country overland there but do some research.

Nearly all tourists enter and leave Myanmar by air via Yangon for a reason. Taking the overland route (if it's possible) would require a special permit and an internal flight within Myanmar to get to the border area....ie much more hassle and also more expensive than flying out of Yangon on Air Asia.

As for your money question, it's best to err on the side of bringing too much cash with you rather than too little because you won't be able to access extra funds once you're there. There are no ATMs that take foreign bank cards and you can't cash traveler's cheques.... it's a "cash only" country.

In Yangon it's easy to change both euros and dollars but make sure your banknotes are brand new, without any creases, tears or marks at all, particularly the higher denomination notes, otherwise you won't be able to use them. The exchange rate is around 800kyat to the $US for $100 notes. Lower value notes get a lower exchange rate when converting into Kyat but they're useful for paying entry fees and train fares etc. as well as accommodation. If a small denomination bill gets "damaged" it's not such a disaster as having an unusable $100 bill...so take a mix of notes with you.

I paid an average of about $15 a night for accommodation last December, food was about $5/meal, then there's transport costs, entry fees, and extras like beer and souvenirs etc. I'd say you need to take at least $500 for two weeks, preferably more than that. As I said earlier, there's no way to get extra cash if you run out and you can always spend any excess cash in Thailand if you don't use it all in Myanmar.

And if you're doing any internal flights you need to budget $100+ for those too.

Places of interest quite near the Golden Rock include Mawlamyne/Moulemein and Hpa An. Do a search on here and a few posts should come up!

#5 Posted: 9/4/2012 - 17:22

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

Best advice I can offer is do some research. I have not read from any website post/travel blog, of any person being able to cross the border from Mae Sot in to Burma. Every tourist flys in to Yangon and travels from there. Hopefully, things will change in the near future. Suggest you access the Lonely Planet Thorntree forum (as well as other travel site forums) for a lot of up to date advice. You will read that accom. prices are changing all the time as tourist numbers increase. Some things remain unchanged eg mint condition US $ bills, permits to visit certain areas, busses and trains etc. Infrastructure should hopefully improve now that the NLD has sanctioned foreigners visiting but bear in mind this country is still under the control of a military regime.

#6 Posted: 3/5/2012 - 05:00

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I know the political situation has improved a lot, but in addition to travel restrictions you might want to make sure the security situation is OK between Mae Sot and Rangoon as well (assuming you find out that you can make the overland border crossing).

#7 Posted: 3/5/2012 - 06:09

• onewayticke-
    tphi

Click here to learn more about onewayticketphi
    Joined Travelfish
    26th May, 2012
    Location United States

It really comes down to what type of traveler you are. I found it quite comparable to the rest of Southeast Asia except accommodation for a solo traveler would be more since there really aren't any dorms. I wrote a blog post breaking down my entire spending habits during my recent two week trip. It's found here

#8 Posted: 26/5/2012 - 09:27

• Alan85

Joined Travelfish
    18th July, 2012

Burma is a good place for visit where you can go and enjoy your vocations and it is not much expensive place. You can eat and travel in local bus from one place to place in just 5 to 6 dollars. Golden Rock, Ngapali Beach and Inle lake are the best places for tourists.

#9 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 02:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Alan, how's the nightlife there? How is Rangoon now? Are costs coming down for hotels?

#10 Posted: 19/7/2012 - 08:54

• Advertisement

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

Costs for hotels are pretty variable in Myanmar but often double the equivalent room rate in the rest of SE Asia except maybe at the high end. They're only going up until foreigner registration is easier.
    Still comfortably below the $10 market and fair value in small towns which see a few tourists (Mr Kid in Hsipaw; Golden Inn in Kalaw; plenty of choices in Bagan and Inle) and overpriced and air-conditioned everywhere else.

Mandalay's only cheap option is the Royal Guest House which needs advance bookings. In Yangon in low season you might stand a chance of getting space in one of the cheaper places near Sule Paya (Mahabandoola, Okinawa dorms and Garden Guest House) but they fill fast and you'll most likely be paying well over $10 for foreigner-registered elsewhere.
    The last LP isn't a particularly reliable guide since some of them (like Ocean Peal Inn in Yangon) have almost tripled their prices since then (Ocean Pearl at $20 for a single still isn't too bad for a night if you also save yourself an $8 taxi ride from the airport in the process though).

Everything other than hotels and possibly taxis is similar prices to the rest of SE Asia, if not a little cheaper. I spent under $25 per day overall without being an especially hardcore budgeter, but make sure you have significantly more cash than this in reserve, even if this is more than you usually spend per day in Malaysia.

If you're going to the Golden Rock in rainy season the rain, view-obstructing clouds and lack of other tourists to share trucks up the hill might make it less appealing and more expensive than otherwise
    (although contrary to what some hotel staff and older guides might tell you, it isn't closed altogether for low season)

Nightlife is a chat over beers before 9:30pm in most places; Yangon has plenty of KTV lounges and Chinese bars with dancing girls - not all especially sleazy - if that's your thing.

#11 Posted: 3/8/2012 - 03:28

• letmeinplz

Joined Travelfish
    6th August, 2012

Hi!
    You can see Golden Rock in your route , it is on the way of Myawaddy.
    Have a good trip!

#12 Posted: 9/8/2012 - 06:17

• buddhanz

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2013

Some things in Burma are more expensive than in other SE Asian countries like Thailand and Laos - especially accommodation because of short supply/increasing numbers of tourists. Though other things are cheap - food, transport etc. You'll need to budget 25-50% more per day than what you'd spend in Thailand or Laos.

One of the refreshing things about Burma is the lack of touts and people trying to rip you off - if you're quoted a price by a horse and cart driver or in a market then chances are it's close to reasonable (a bit higher becuase you're a tourist). Bargain by all means, but not with the same intensity as in Thailand. Burmese people are much poorer and need the cash more than you do.

#13 Posted: 10/1/2013 - 00:55

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

people's experiences on travelblogs should be of assistance to you.

Good luck with the overland border crossing. Let us know if you are successful.

#14 Posted: 25/1/2013 - 04:07

• erohisms

Joined Travelfish
    17th March, 2013

To be honest, we didn't find Burma that much more expensive than Thailand (where we are now). Accommodation was definitely pricier and the quality sucked, but everything else cost less. You could have a decent meal for 1000-2000K and be completely full, many of the "attractions" have a fixed price for an unlimited time, and you tend to move around less and so spend less on transport.

We averaged around $30 each per day in February, which is high season, and saw a ton! (We also had at least some beer daily :0)

For more details on our trip, visit http://erohisms.com

#15 Posted: 18/3/2013 - 21:20

• dsalageanu

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2014

Depends on a lot of factors. It might be more expensive for backpackers than for mid-range tourism. I'm living in Yangon and I'm heading the sales of a local travel agency. I've wrote an extensive piece of the costs of travel in Myanmar, you'll might find it insightful: http://myanmartravelpartners.com/2014/10/traveling-myanmar-expensive-really/

#16 Posted: 16/10/2014 - 01:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.