Burma forum

Seeking Advice on Myanmar Itinerary

• valerie1213

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2012

eedback on Iternerary in Myanmar--Would LOVE help! We'll be in Myanmar for 18 days (April-May). We would love feedback and advice on the following itinerary (including stuff we shouldn't miss). THANK YOU!

Yangon Day 1-2
    --thoughts on Beautyland II?
    --want to see the synagogue, markets, etc. Anything else we shouldn't miss? We'll only be in Yagon for 24 hours.

Bagan Day 2-4
    --flight into Nyaung U, and then car to Bagan. Should we book this flight in advance or when we arrive on the 22nd?
    --haven't booked accommodations. Suggestions? Bagan Thande has been recommended.

Mandalay Day 4-6
    --boat from Bagan to Mandalay. Anything we need to know about this? Can we book it once we are there?
    --Suggestions on where to stay?
    --we're going to try to see some of the neighboring villages (Amarapura, Sagaing, Inwa, Mingun, etc.). Anything we shouldn't miss? Should we stay in Mandalay or are their neighboring towns where we should find accommodations?

Pyin Oo Lwin Day 6-8
    --bus/taxi from Mandalay. Is that the way to go?
    --suggestions for where to stay?
    --Can we do a day trip to Kyakme?

*Kalaw" with Trek to Inle Lake Day 8-11
    --how do we get from Pyin oo Lwin to Kalaw?

Inle Lake Day 11-12
    --suggestion for places to stay? We'd like to stay right on the lake, not in the backpacker area.

Ngapali Beach Day 12-16
    --can we fly from Inle to Ngapali Beach?
    --Is it worth it to go to Ngapali beach? We love the idea of seeing the ocean, when possible, in each country we visit. And I think that a few days of rest, relaxation, and great seafood would be a nice end to our trip. But is this too much for 17 days? We'll fly back to Yangon on Day 16 or 17 and then leave on day 18.

Final general questions:

(1) our plan is to book the first two hotels, and then just continue to book as we go along (having our current hotel call the next place). Does that typically work for folks? Or should we book in advance? We want to stay at mid-market places--clean, with windows, etc.

(2) Is this schedule too packed? If so, what should we drop? We like villages, trekking and natural scenery, lakes and beaches, more than navigating cities or visiting pagoda after pagoda (not that I don't love visiting pagodas--I just know that we'll really enjoy our time in the natural world).

Thanks in advance for all of the tips!

#1 Posted: 10/4/2012 - 13:35

• Advertisement

• valerie1213

Joined Travelfish
    19th February, 2012

Thanks! The fact that no one else has replied makes me realize that either my message is too long or the itinerary is too crazy!

Anyone else have suggestions/comments?

#2 Posted: 15/4/2012 - 21:14

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I stayed at Beautyland II when I was there. It was quite a few years ago, though. Found the place quite good. My diary says I paid U$16/night (incl. a/c, hot shower, tv, but no window in this particular room), and that it was full every day I was there. Very helpful owners and workers. Great breakfast. Great location. I skipped the typical western breakfast and went for "ou new kohk-swey" (sp?) which was noodles in coconut gravy with chicken. Excellent!

Don't leave Yangon without seeing the Schwedagon Pagoda.

Keep in mind that when you say you are going to be in Mandalay on Day 4, you'll be arriving at a time when you won't be able to do much because the day will almost be over. The boat trip between Mandalay and Bagan is, typically, about 10 or more hours. If you are going to leave on Day 6, it will likely be in the early morning which gives you only one full day in Mandalay which is, frankly, not enough to see all the places you've mentioned.

I also think that this is far too much to pack into 18 days. Slow, unreliable transport and long distances make getting around time-consuming. 18 days doesn't afford you much time to waste.

If you can, consider extending your visit, especially if you want to go to Ngapali.

If you're more keen on getting out into nature, then you may want to consider hiking up to the Golden Rock. The walk up the mountain is amazing.

Also, if visiting the ocean is a goal, you could go to Setse, which is a couple hours south of Mawlamyaing and very little visited.

#3 Posted: 16/4/2012 - 11:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Seeking Advice: 6 month itinerary ... By Msalkinder on 13 Jun 2012 4 3139 7 Aug 2012
Seeking Advice on Eight Week Southeast Asia Itinerary! ... By brand0n on 25 May 2011 1 3506 25 May 2011
6 months in SEA. Writer seeking loose Itinerary advice. ... By moss_1184 on 25 Jun 2013 0 1136 25 Jun 2013
Vietnam / Thailand itinerary - seeking advice from experienced travellers ... By prankmonkey on 9 Feb 2010 4 2266 12 Feb 2010
Seeking advice: 3 week itinerary (Thailand, Malaysia and Angkor) ... By Emanuela on 7 Aug 2012 1 1630 9 Aug 2012
6 weeks in Thailand: seeking advice ... By esseestpercipi on 5 May 2014 9 817 6 May 2014