Online eVisas for Burma?

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I heard recently that Burma / Myanmar are now (or soon?) allowing travellers to apply for eVisas online via this site: http://www.myanmarevisa.gov.mm/

Essentially it's a pre-approval process. You apply online, pay and 5 days later you're sent an approval letter that you present at the airport in exchange for your visa.

The link to the Fees page doesn't work so not sure how much it costs.

Air Asia indicated that it's already up and running (as of Apr 2012) but the eVisa sites indicates it's only running as a pilot test.

Has anyone used it or know anything more about it?

#1 Posted: 6/5/2012 - 20:08

• Advertisement

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

They seem to be following it more closely here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/168-myanmar-visas/ and it looks like a project that has been considerably delayed. I'm due to go and queue at the Bangkok embassy tomorrow...

#2 Posted: 14/6/2012 - 07:45

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I've since read on another travel website that the new visa on arrival may only be business and transit travellers only; not for tourists. So who knows... I'm not following it too closely... yet!

#3 Posted: 14/6/2012 - 14:31

• dakial

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2012

Trying to get some solid info about VISA in Myanmar, I reached this government page that says that VOA is currently (since 1st of June) being accepted for selected countries (including some EU countries and US).

I also asked Myanmair Airways about it and this was the answer:

"We thank you for the email, as you have mentioned, you can get the VOA upon arriving into Yangon International Airway. However, it is only for the 26 countries that was stated in the website. But you have to produce the documents and the requirements stated in the website. As we are not an embassy, you may want to check with the embassy concerned with regards to the application of visa."

Cheers,

Daniel

Here is the full text of the website for the lazy:

VISA ON ARRIVAL

Date of Commencement
    -1st June, 2012 (1 - 6 - 2012)

Types of Visa Fees Duration
    BUSINESS VISA US$ 50 70 days
    ENTRY VISA US$ 40 28 days
    (Meetings / Workshops / Events)
    TRANSIT VISA US$ 20 24 hours
    Starting International Airport
    -Yangon International Airport
    Permitted list of countries (26 countries)
    Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Viet Nam, Australia, China, Denmark, France, Germany, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States of America.

The Required Terms and Conditions for VISA ON ARRIVAL
    The applicant shall -
    1. have a valid passport not expiring for at least 6 months from the date of entry into Myanmar.
    2. bring two recent (4cm x 6cm) color photos taken within the past six months.
    3. have the letter of invitation from the sponsoring company in the event of first trip of business study. (Stay cannot be extended.)
    4. be required to produce copies of company registration/business license/ evidence of permission to do business issued by the ministries concerned together with the application if he is working in Myanmar.
    5. fully mention the name of the factory, location, the sponsor and the position he holds if he is doing business with business visa.
    6. apply for extension of visa with the recommendation of the ministries concerned as well as in accordance with the existing procedures if he is doing business with business visa.
    7. produce letter of invitation by the ministries concerned if he is going to attend meetings, workshops, events and ceremonies.
    8. not be allowed to engage in any sort of work with or without charges apart from the professions mentioned in the visa application form.
    9. produce air ticket to the destination if he is applying for transit visa.
    10. stay at the hotels, motels and guest houses holding legal licenses issued by Myanmar Government, and factories and workshops legally permitted as well as human dwellings; and exactly mention the address he will stay at.
    11. make a promise to strictly abide by the existing laws, rules, procedures, orders and directives issued by Myanmar Government.
    12. have under-seven-year-old children accompanying parents in the passport granted visa free of charge; be able to produce the evidence of parent-children relationship if the children are holding separate passport.
    13. not be allowed to travel to the restricted areas without seeking prior permission.
    14. report to the office of the township Immigration and National Registration Department concerned at which he stays within Myanmar mentioning the address of hotels, motels, guest houses, factories and workshops legally permitted as well as human dwellings.
    15. depart to the country which he has travelled from by the arrangement of the airline he is using if he is denied entry.
    16. abide by the decision of the On Arrival Visa Scrutiny and Issuing Team.
    17. apply for Visa On Arrival at Airport Immigration Section obtaining the application form either from the airlines in Myanmar or the following website www.mip.gov.mm of the Ministry of Immigration and Population.

#4 Posted: 1/7/2012 - 21:37

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011

Interesting.

The standard Visa process at the Myanmar embassy in Bangkok involved a lot less queuing than I'd been lead to believe (although it might have helped that I left my documentation there on a Friday morning - Kachanaburi isn't a bad place to wait for the weekend)

#5 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 01:37

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'm still debating going to Burma, I know most people love it, but it just seems to be a lot of hassle compared to other SEA countries?

#6 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 08:53

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I'm hoping that it's a case of once you're there, it's been worth the hassle! My biggest concern would be not being able to find somewhere to stay. As I understand it, it's getting harder to find accom as tourism takes off. I don't fancy sleeping in the back of a ute truck as I read one couple did!

#7 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 14:44

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

apparently, not so cheap and there's the whole "pristine US$" thing. Transport, well after Laos what could be worse? - lol

#8 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 15:19

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 32

No VOA for tourists...................
    ..........................................YET

#9 Posted: 5/7/2012 - 07:08

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011

Board at Yangon airport suggests that tourist VOA exists but only if you have a prearranged letter of invitation (through a travel agent I assume). The process of getting a standard Myanmar visa in Bangkok is no more difficult than getting a Vietnam visa.

Pristine USD aren't that difficult to get in Bangkok if you ask for them with baht to change.
    (residents suggest Superrich in Silom is the best moneychanger; in the Khao San Road area try the main Krung Thai branch halfway down the street or the Superrich 1985 [different company] moneychanger)

If you have Singapore dollars or Euros (but surprisingly not baht) left over you'll find them easy to change to kyat at Yangon Airport too: you'll still want some dollars to get better prices at tourist attractions and hotels.

Of course, there's always a possibility of running out of cash, but unlike say Vietnam, that probably won't be because someone's stolen all your luggage. Just remember to take out more than you expect to spend: you can spend those shiny dollars you have left over in many other parts of the world too...

It's the middle of rainy season in some parts (Yangon and the coast) of Myanmar, and getting accommodation doesn't seem to be a problem now. At the budget end you'll pay about twice as much as for the equivalent in mainland Thailand but that's still not extortionate, and if you like pricey flash places with swimming pools and televisions when you're in the towns that actually have them they're probably still half empty. It'll be worth getting your hotel to ring in advance before you go and stay in the only available guest house in a smaller town, but they should be used to that.

#10 Posted: 8/7/2012 - 09:56

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.