Burma forum

Mandalay Accommodation

• loral

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2007
    Location Australia

I have been able to book most of my trip in November, but I seem to have hit a brick wall looking for a hotel or guest house in Mandalay. Suggestions or recommendatios would be welcomed.

#1 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 06:26

• Advertisement

• HedgePig

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2007

If you are looking for midrange accomodation, I'd suggest the Mandalay City Hotel. It's fairly central (just south of the old Palace and slightly west). It has a little less character than some other places but service was very good and has a decent pool. We paid US$48 for a deluxe room which we booked a couple of days ahead through travel agent (who could get better rates). I'm sure rates will be up during high season though.

We also stayed at the Ayerwaddy River View for 2 nights on our return from Pyin Oo Lwin as we couldn't get rooms at the Mandalay City hotel. Although the views from the rooftop of the Irrawaddy were indeed very good, I though the hotel was overpriced. At US$80/night I do at least expect the hot water to work. The hotel is also very isolated from anything else, so you basically have to eat there or catch a taxi (or face a long walk).

#2 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 20:09

• loral

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2007
    Location Australia

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the Mandalay City and the Ayerwaddy River View have both responded to direct emails with "no vacancies at that time" advice.

#3 Posted: 12/8/2012 - 20:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.