Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Myanmar for independent travellers ?

Posted by chriswallace on 25/8/2012 at 20:40

Hi, Am heading up to Myanmar for 2 weeks in late November. As time is short will be doing Yangon, Mandalay and Bagan and maybe a couple of other places. What's the gig on independent traveling ? Can I fly into Yangon and go independent or do I need to be part of an organized tour ? Is bus or train recommended ? Also, what is the weather likely to be like and can someone suggest an itinerary. Chris

#1 chriswallace has been a member since 25/8/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by KirstyB on 27/8/2012 at 13:03

No you don't have to be part of an organised group and yes you can travel independently. It's a good idea to book your Yangon guesthouse or hotel before you arrive as they tend to be busy but everything else can be sorted as you go. There are quite a few suggestions for itineraries on the site if you do a search but in the time frame you have you probably won't have time to fit much in as travelling by public transport usually always takes longer than you expect; you may want to add a flight or for the longer distances. I would probably add Inle Lake region in, you should have time for that and it's very beautiful. The train in Burma is good fun but tends to be slower than the bus but I would try and include at least one leg by train if you can for the experience. Weather-wise, late November should be good .........

#2 KirstyB has been a member since 27/7/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 151
 Where has KirstyB been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.