Burma forum

Myanmar for independent travellers ?

• chriswallace

Joined Travelfish
    25th August, 2012

Hi, Am heading up to Myanmar for 2 weeks in late November. As time is short will be doing Yangon, Mandalay and Bagan and maybe a couple of other places. What's the gig on independent traveling ? Can I fly into Yangon and go independent or do I need to be part of an organized tour ? Is bus or train recommended ? Also, what is the weather likely to be like and can someone suggest an itinerary. Chris

#1 Posted: 25/8/2012 - 20:40

• Advertisement

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 212

No you don't have to be part of an organised group and yes you can travel independently. It's a good idea to book your Yangon guesthouse or hotel before you arrive as they tend to be busy but everything else can be sorted as you go. There are quite a few suggestions for itineraries on the site if you do a search but in the time frame you have you probably won't have time to fit much in as travelling by public transport usually always takes longer than you expect; you may want to add a flight or for the longer distances. I would probably add Inle Lake region in, you should have time for that and it's very beautiful. The train in Burma is good fun but tends to be slower than the bus but I would try and include at least one leg by train if you can for the experience. Weather-wise, late November should be good .........

#2 Posted: 27/8/2012 - 13:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Koh samui via Surat thani train station - WARNING FOR INDEPENDENT TRAVELLERS! ... By johnno on 7 Jan 2010 2 13801 18 Mar 2013