Burma forum

25 Days in Myanmar trip advice

• Bully74

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2012

Hi im Carlo fro Italy,
    im planning with a friend to spend 25 days around Myanmar.
    Ive been researching for the best itineraries and came up with this:

Can someone tell me if it is too much for 25 days?
    Thank you
    Carlo

Day 1 Yangon full day sightseeing
    Day 2 Yangon full day sightseeing
    Day 3 Yangon-Bago-KyaikHtiYoo by car
    Day 4 KyaiHtiYoo-Hpa An-Mawlamyaing by car
    Day5 Mawlamyaing
    Day 6 Mawlamyaing-Bago-Yangon by car
    Day 7 Yangon-Mandalay by flight/Amarapura/Inwa/Sagaing sightseein
    Day 8 ‹Mingun-Mandalay by boat/Mandalay sightseeing
    Day 9 Mandalay-PyinOoLwin by car
    Day 10 PyinOoLwin-Naung Pain by train/Naung Pain-Hsibaw
    Day 11 Hsibaw-Mandalay by car
    Day 12 Mandalay-Monywa by car
    Day13 Monywa-Myinmu by car/ Myinmu-Bagan by boat
    Day14 ‹Bagan
    Day15 Bagan-Mt.Popa-Salay-Bagan by car
    Day16 Bagan-Heho by flight/Pindaya
    Day17 Pindaya-Yatsagyi (tracking)
    Day18 Yatsagyi-Inle by car
    Day19 Inle
    Day20 Heho-Yangon by flight/Yangon-Ngwe Saung by car
    Day21 Ngwe Saung Beach
    Day22 Ngwe Saung Beach
    Day23 Ngwe Saung Beach
    Day24 Ngwe Saung-Yangon by car
    Day25 Iternational Departure

#1 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 10:03

• Advertisement

• DWJT2012

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2012

It's rather too much. I would perhaps leave one or two places away. Otherwise it will feel like stress and not like a holiday.
    Plus travelling in Burma can make you quite tired. The roads and train-tracks are mostly in miserable condition.
    And I would stay one more day in Bagan and one day less in Yangon. I found Yangon not so exciting. But that's just my taste. And in Bagan you need two days to see enough of the temples in my opinion. And then a third day for Mt. Popa.
    If you want to check out more information from my blog about Burma visit this link: http://www.dontworryjusttravel.com/index.php/en/asiapacific/burmamyanmar.html

I wish you a good yourney!
    Charles

#2 Posted: 31/8/2012 - 00:37

• lissie45

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011
    Location New Zealand

It sounds reasonable to me - though I'd do the trip one way to Mawlamyaing - by train -it's supposed to be one of the more scenic trips. I would however say it's a just a plan - no doubt you will change it as you go .

#3 Posted: 4/9/2012 - 21:27

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I agree with the first poster. It's WAY too much! You'll be spending the whole time sitting in a car getting from A to B and haven't left enough time to see anything once you get there.

eg

Day 4 KyaiHtiYoo-Hpa An-Mawlamyaing by car

There's absolutely no point in going to Hpa An if you don't spend at least a whole day there exploring the beautiful surrounding countryside. The town itself is nothing special and not worth the detour.

No point in going to KyaiHtiYoo unless you intend to climb up to the Golden Rock. That takes a whole day too.

Like #1 said, get out of Yangon ASAP at the beginning of your trip. You'll have to go back there anyway and the only real "must see" is the Shwedagon Paya.

You definitely need more than one day to see Bagan and personally I'd skip Mount Popa, unless you like OTT kitch.

etc etc

You really need to do more research and rethink the whole itinerary. Otherwise you are going to have a lousy time. As it stands it's absolutely exhausting and you won't see anything.

#4 Posted: 6/9/2012 - 03:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

On a side note, does anyone know if prices for hotels in Burma in general, and Rangoon in particular, are dropping, climbing or staying about the same now that we've seen some political movement?

#5 Posted: 6/9/2012 - 07:22

• DWJT2012

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2012

Prices only go up. Just double the price of a two year old guidebook and you are in the realistice zone for the high season November 12 to February 13!

#6 Posted: 6/9/2012 - 11:51

• emptyman

Joined Travelfish
    17th August, 2012

It seem you have time in Myanmar. Personally, I would like to recommend by car to go around Myanmar because you can enjoy country side area and stop when you have wish to see and take photo. Quite enough in 25days. As follow are suggestive itinerary by car.
    1. Yangon - Bago - Mawlamyaing
    2. Mawlamyaing
    3. Mawlamying - Hpan - Golden Rock
    4.Golden Rock
    5.Golden Rock - Taungoo
    6.Taungoo - Kalaw
    7. Kalaw - Pindaya Yatsagyi (trekking)
    8.Pindaya - Inle lake
    9.Inle lake sightseeing
    10.Inle lake - Mandalay
    11.Mandalay -Amarapura/Inwa/Sagaing sightseein
    12. Mingun-Mandalay by boat/Mandalay sightseeing
    13. Mandalay - PyinOoLwin-Naung Pain by train/Naung Pain-Hsibaw
    14. Hsipaw trekking
    15. Hsipaw - Pyin Oo Lwin sightseeing
    16.Pyin Oo Lwin - Monywa
    17.Monwya
    18.Monywa - Bagan (enjoy boat trip also)
    19. Bagan sighseeing
    20.Bagan Sightseeing
    21.Bagan - Mt. Popa - Salay - Pyay
    21.Pyay - Ngwe Saung Beach
    22.Beach
    23.Beach
    24.Beach - Yangon
    25.Departure

#7 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 00:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Man, no one seems to think Rangoon is worth spending any time in. Is the city that crappy?

#8 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 11:16

• lissie45

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011
    Location New Zealand

Maybe it's just me but I'm thinking 3nights in Rangoon because I love the idea of the old decaying buildings that haven't been replaced by high rises.

I remember being stuck in Saigon for a week in 1989 trying to get permits to go to the rest of Saigon, it was frustrating, but it wasn't boring because the city was pretty much as it had been for 50 years. Went back in 2004 and most of the charm was gone.

#9 Posted: 13/9/2012 - 15:21

• Bully74

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2012

Thank you all for the advices! I have review the tour and i will post it when im totally happy with it.

I have one more question for you...
    I have 3 nights to spend between Pyin Oo Lwin and Monywa.
    Now i dont know if i should stay 2 nights in Pyin Oo and 1 in Monywa or the way around.
    Or maybe Pyin Oo 1 night then to hisypaw 1 night and third night in Monywa...

Thank you

#10 Posted: 18/9/2012 - 16:02

• Advertisement

• lissie45

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011
    Location New Zealand

You're over-planning - decide when you get there - sometimes I arrive and I know I need to stay longer, sometimes I ready to move on.

#11 Posted: 18/9/2012 - 16:34

• Bully74

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2012

Yes, you are right, but unfortunatly looks like as everyone is going to Myanmar in February...
    I still don't have any hotel confirmation...
    We want to be free to go around and decide day by day what to see, but we want the hotels booked.

#12 Posted: 18/9/2012 - 17:08

• lissie45

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011
    Location New Zealand

Nah everyone is going in November that's when we're going :-) In the end we thought long and hard and decided to only book the first few nights in Yangon. After that we will call ahead a few days. We also have a couple of sleeping mats as plan B - not to camp - I know that's illegal, but to stay on the floor/roof of guest houses

#13 Posted: 18/9/2012 - 17:15

• DWJT2012

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2012

Dear Bully 74,
    Going to Burma means accepting a little uncertainty in planning. These people hardly have computers. The use of agendas is also not so common. They are simply not taking reservations earlier than 2 weeks before your arrival.
    Maybe they do so for big groups, but not for sole travellers. So just call two or three nights ahead and that should work.

Best regards
    Charles
    dontworryjusttravel.com

#14 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 06:06

• lissie45

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011
    Location New Zealand

Plus, I rather suspect that more and more people are booking and then not turning up, I've just booked the few days at the the start in Yangon and one place wouldn't take a booking direct - wanted booking via agoda so they knew I'd show up, another asked for a copy of my flight ticket to confirm arrival - so they are wiseing up that tourists sometimes lie

#15 Posted: 19/9/2012 - 15:27

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I don't think it's a question of "wising up" exactly Lissie, more that the demand for budget accommodation in Yangon nowadays far exceeds supply. It's quite natural for them to demand some guarantee you'll actually show up when they're turning dozens of potential guests away every day.

Tourists should wise up to the fact that managing reservations is an unnecessary chore for guesthouses in Yangon and that they're doing people a favor by letting them book a room in advance. Every guesthouse listed in LP or on Trip Advisor would be able to fill all their rooms every single night just by relying on walk ins.

Of course, with such a huge demand and so few options you don't get as much bang for your buck in Yangon as you do elsewhere in the country. I certainly can't think of any outstanding backpacker joints there.

There's a much greater choice of decent affordable places to stay near Inle Lake and Bagan than there is in Yangon, especially Inle. That's one of the reasons I suggested getting out of Yangon ASAP. Decaying old buildings might be OK to look at but personally I'd rather not sleep in them, especially if they cost more. I skipped Inle and Bagan last year but it was easy enough to phone ahead a day or two in advance and book a room at both these places in 2010.

It's years since I was in Mandalay but I suspect it's just as difficult to find accommodation there as it is in Yangon. Trying to get a room at somewhere popular like Royal Guest House in Mandalay at a few days notice would be extremely challenging methinks. If I were planning on going to Mandalay I'd definitely try and book ahead, particularly as Air Asia is going to start flying there from Bangkok soon.

#16 Posted: 20/9/2012 - 03:36

• Bully74

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2012

Sorry, but i was asking if anyone has been to Pyin Oo Lwin or to Monywa and which one is best to spend 2 nights

Tx

#17 Posted: 20/9/2012 - 08:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
16 days itinerary advice - including trip questions ... By Jaimyvandijke on 26 Jul 2013 4 1474 29 Jul 2013