Burma forum

Yangon> South Thailand

• JohnnyM

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2012

I'm thinking of spending some time in Burma this autumn/winter followed by a week on a thai beach. Is there any (relatively) straightforward way to get to south Thailand from Yangon or South Burma, other than flying back to Bangkok and then onwards from there - seems a lot of doubling back - especially as I was thinking of one of the islands near Ranong.

#1 Posted: 2/9/2012 - 10:55

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I was originally thinking something similar for myself next year, but started looking into the islands in Burma as an option in order to save time. I can't recommend them and haven't had time to fully research yet, but you can check out Ngapali Beach, Ngwe Saeung abnd Chgaung Thar beaches.

There is some basic info here: http://www.travelmyanmar.com/myanmar_burma_beach.html - plus i know some other TF'ers have visited some and can provide a bit more info.

Just thought I'd mention it as an alternative option!

#2 Posted: 2/9/2012 - 15:07

• JohnnyM

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2012

thanks for the tips - i'd vaguely thought about a Burmese beach - but from the bit of research I did - the accessible ones looked quite expensive & not that great - but happy to be persuaded otherwise!

#3 Posted: 2/9/2012 - 16:03

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

At the moment you have two choices for flying in and out of Yangon that would make sense for where you want to go - Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur. However, I just read the other day that a German airline called Condor Flugdienst is going to start flying from Yangon to Phuket on November 12th, so you may want to investigate this newbie to the scene. I suspect it could be quite expensive, though.

If that doesn't work, Bangkok would be the best option.

#4 Posted: 3/9/2012 - 13:01

• JohnnyM

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2012

Thanks - i'll check that new flight out. I presume overland is out of the question due to in/out border restrictions?

#5 Posted: 3/9/2012 - 14:27

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Correct ... unfortunately.

#6 Posted: 3/9/2012 - 14:36

• lazynay

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2012

Any update on the Condor flight from RGN-Phuket?

Saw that they're starting up but haven't seen any flights on their site or Flightstats.com

#7 Posted: 13/11/2012 - 00:29

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Any update on the Condor flight from RGN-Phuket?

Nothing as yet but I wouldn't hold your breath.

#8 Posted: 14/11/2012 - 12:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.