Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Yangon> South Thailand

Posted by JohnnyM on 2/9/2012 at 10:55

I'm thinking of spending some time in Burma this autumn/winter followed by a week on a thai beach. Is there any (relatively) straightforward way to get to south Thailand from Yangon or South Burma, other than flying back to Bangkok and then onwards from there - seems a lot of doubling back - especially as I was thinking of one of the islands near Ranong.

#1 JohnnyM has been a member since 2/9/2012. Posts: 23

Posted by busylizzy on 2/9/2012 at 15:07

I was originally thinking something similar for myself next year, but started looking into the islands in Burma as an option in order to save time. I can't recommend them and haven't had time to fully research yet, but you can check out Ngapali Beach, Ngwe Saeung abnd Chgaung Thar beaches.

There is some basic info here: http://www.travelmyanmar.com/myanmar_burma_beach.html - plus i know some other TF'ers have visited some and can provide a bit more info.

Just thought I'd mention it as an alternative option!

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by JohnnyM on 2/9/2012 at 16:03

thanks for the tips - i'd vaguely thought about a Burmese beach - but from the bit of research I did - the accessible ones looked quite expensive & not that great - but happy to be persuaded otherwise!

#3 JohnnyM has been a member since 2/9/2012. Posts: 23

Posted by Tilapia on 3/9/2012 at 13:01

At the moment you have two choices for flying in and out of Yangon that would make sense for where you want to go - Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur. However, I just read the other day that a German airline called Condor Flugdienst is going to start flying from Yangon to Phuket on November 12th, so you may want to investigate this newbie to the scene. I suspect it could be quite expensive, though.

If that doesn't work, Bangkok would be the best option.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,491
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by JohnnyM on 3/9/2012 at 14:27

Thanks - i'll check that new flight out. I presume overland is out of the question due to in/out border restrictions?

#5 JohnnyM has been a member since 2/9/2012. Posts: 23

Posted by Tilapia on 3/9/2012 at 14:36

Correct ... unfortunately.

#6 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,491
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by lazynay on 13/11/2012 at 00:29

Any update on the Condor flight from RGN-Phuket?

Saw that they're starting up but haven't seen any flights on their site or Flightstats.com

#7 lazynay has been a member since 13/11/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by steviej on 14/11/2012 at 12:42

Any update on the Condor flight from RGN-Phuket?

Nothing as yet but I wouldn't hold your breath.

#8 steviej has been a member since 18/3/2006. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 265
 Where has steviej been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.