Burma forum

Up to date guidebook?

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Hi people,

I'm having some thoughts about visiting Burma later this year and was wondering if there is such a thing as a up to date guidebook? From what I'm reading, due to all the recent changes, LP's latest edition (2011?) isn't very accurate when it comes to prices. Is there any better one out? Or a good blog or web-page perhaps?

Any input is highly appreciated!

Happy trails!

#1 Posted: 3/9/2012 - 03:25

• Advertisement

• lissie45

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011
    Location New Zealand

The LP one is as good as it gets - I think you can easily quadruple hotel prices and it's significantly out of date on other stuff as well like the blackmarket (banks are now the best exchange option).

All you can do is trawl LP and tripadvisor forums. I'm going to write a book after we get back in December, but I won't be doing all the research that a LP covers!

#2 Posted: 4/9/2012 - 21:19

• Sampan

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2009
    Total reviews: 3

Many thanks for the response.

I'm getting second thoughts about going by now, mainly because the visa on arrival for tourists seems to have been cancelled. From what i gather on the Myanmar UK embassy webpage, only visitors participating in meetings etc. and businessmen now have the right to get VoA (and i'm pretty sure tourists where included for a brief period around the end of June?).

Anyhow, i'm hoping things change for better soon. And, I'll make sure to look out for your book too. If you feel like posting information about it, please do. I'd be interested reading it.

Happy trails!

#3 Posted: 11/9/2012 - 22:54

• lissie45

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011
    Location New Zealand

That's a pretty crazy reason to cancel the trip - you apply to the nearest embassy - with the appropriate paperwork and pay your money. Or you allow a day or 2 in Bangkok to do the same. It's not an issue. And I doubt that it will change any time soon - it's been that way since at least the 1970s

#4 Posted: 11/9/2012 - 23:49

• mareeS

Joined Travelfish
    8th December, 2012

Why would you be having second thoughts, Sampan? Just because of visa inconvenience? Everyone going to Burma has an inconvenience with visas. It takes ages to get one, that's just the way it is. Try visiting the USA.

#5 Posted: 8/12/2012 - 08:21

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.