Burma forum

Back to SEA want to see Bagan

• orangebutton

Joined Travelfish
    5th October, 2011

Hi fellow travelers I have small question, I plan to go back to south east Asia again this year since I got a free ticket to bangkok. As the title says I want to see Bagan, but I also want to meet some friends I made on Koh Tao and Koh Phangan so the question is where to go first to avoid unneeded bus travel although time is not a big issue since I am planing about 3-4 weeks for everything.

As far as I understood you can enter Burma on Land but have to fly out? If that is correct the rough plan would be something like this:

getting to Burma on Land checking out Bagan than head to yangon and fly directly to phucket or even better koh samui (I know not possible direct depending on the price I may consider a stop in bangkok)

sounds like a plan? what do you think?
    also while in Burma anything else worth seeing?

thx orange

#1 Posted: 6/9/2012 - 17:20

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

You have to fly into Myanmar too AFAIK but Air Asia are starting flights to Mandalay this autumn and Mandalay is nearer Bagan than Yangon so it would probably be a better option for you. Inle Lake is the other ''major'' attraction you might want to see while you're there but it's a long ride from Bagan on a very clapped out bus. If you can afford it, flying between these 2 places is a lot quicker and more comfortable. From Inle you could go back to Mandalay or fly out of Yangon if you don't want to backtrack.

All Air Asia flights will be leaving from Don Muang, not Suvarnabhumi from Oct 1st BTW. You could fly to/from Surat Thani on Air Asia too but I don't know if those flights connect with ones to or from Myanmar.

#2 Posted: 7/9/2012 - 01:44

• lissie45

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2011
    Location New Zealand

There is no direct flights to Phuket from Yangoon - but Air Asia does fly to KL from there and then KL - Krabi - that's about as close as you'll get. You can do an overnight train to Surat Thani - from Bkk which wouldn't be bad - better than the bus anyways.

You must fly in and out of Myanmar as the above poster noted.

#3 Posted: 11/9/2012 - 23:54

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

???

What's the point in going to KL rather than Bangkok and then flying to Krabi or Phuket? The OP said he/she wanted to go to Ko Phangan and Ko Tao and Surat Thani is the nearest mainland airport for Ko Phangan. You can get flights to Surat Thani from Bangkok, either on Air Asia or Nok Air. Or you can get an overnight bus or sleeper train to Surat Thani that connects with the ferry.

#4 Posted: 12/9/2012 - 07:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.