Burma forum

PASSPORT-VISA

• gracetandil

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

I have a big doubt: If I go to the Myanmar embassy I must leave there my own passport, right? OK. I must pick it up after 3 working days. OK? Right. So, how can I buy a ticket to travel somewhere else, for example in Bangkok, if I want to but a bus ticket to Chiang Mai or wherever in the same country? Can I do that with a photocopy of my passport???? Does anyone know anything about this? Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1 Posted: 26/9/2012 - 11:52

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

When you're getting a visa, embassies give you a receipt which you have to show when you come back and pick up your passport. (Don't lose this bit of paper). The receipt plus a passport photocopy is usually ample for checking into a hotel and I've never ever been asked to show a passport when buying a bus ticket. Where do you buy your bus tickets?

Why on earth would you want to go to Chiang Mai and back again by bus while you're waiting for your visa to get processed anyway? You'll be getting plenty of very long bus rides when you're in Myanmar, believe me. It's the last thing I'd be doing before a trip there!

I usually just stay in Bangkok, always plenty of things to do there, but if you really want to get out of town then Ayutthaya or Kanchanaburi are more obvious side trips than Chiang Mai.

#2 Posted: 26/9/2012 - 13:38

• gracetandil

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

OK, thank you, I understand. I wrote Chiang Mai as an example, just that. I have been there before. I will stay in Bangkok and visit Ayutthaya and Kanchanaburi, those 2 ones are in my plans. I won´t go to Chiang Mai this time, nice place, I have already been there.

#3 Posted: 27/9/2012 - 04:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.