Burma forum

good travel agents

• aussiejohn

Joined Travelfish
    16th September, 2012

I know there are a scattering of travel agent recommendations through out these threads but Im hoping to get an up to date list of recommended travel agents who can book and advise through emails. Especially booking flights.
    In Yangon would be good so I can check up on the bookings when I arrive.

thanks

#1 Posted: 7/10/2012 - 21:51

• Advertisement

• GCBoy

Joined Travelfish
    12th October, 2012

Hey! I travelled to Myanmar only in September. 10 days Yangon-Bagan-Mandalay-Inle Lake. I was quite discouraged by the price of packages before I left. The uncertainties of accommodation availability, the need to carry a shoebox full of cash, the mystery flights bookings, etc. drive you towards it. Regardless, I gave up on pre-booking except for the first couple of nights accom and followed up with a local tour operator on arrival who seemed happy to work with me. Freedom Travel & Tours (Mr Htun) They have a website or you can email: info@freedomtravelmyanmar.com ph: 0951538579. I came with $US but was told they could handle pre-purchase by some bank deposit arrangements. I received honest and inexpensive service. I expect you will too.

PS: Having sent my passport to the Embassy in Canberra with great trepidation before the trip, I note the Visa on Arrival counter at Yangon airport was in full swing. I didn't verify whether the visitors at the counter had secured any pre-arrangements via tour operators, but the VoA was definitely operating this September - fyi.

Enjoy :)

#2 Posted: 12/10/2012 - 07:03

• Basil

Joined Travelfish
    23rd August, 2007

Santa Maria Tours are very good.
    They are firmly "local" and relatively small scale, but very helpful and utterly reliable.

#3 Posted: 30/10/2012 - 13:13

• DWJT2012

Joined Travelfish
    31st August, 2012

I would like to share a post that I found recommending a travel guide in Burma. I have, since reading the post sent a couple of e.mails with my requirements to the travel guide at Ovation Travel and the responses so far have been quick and helpful. We are still in the early days of planning out trip but I do find reommendations from other travellers invaluable.

http://www.dontworryjusttravel.com/index.php/en/asiapacific/thailand/153-possible-tour-guide-for-burma.html[/fred][/url]

#4 Posted: 23/11/2012 - 07:55

• candice007

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2012

I travelled to Burma earlier on in the year and had a blast. We booked all our onward travel arrangements in Burma through the accommodation places we stayed at. We could pay Kyat or USD. Found using Kyat worked out cheaper. We got good service too. I was fortunate enough to know a friend that live there. All foreigners that we met along the way gave good advice too. We caught an overnight bus from Yangoon to Mandalay booked through the Queen Inn that I stayed at. We caught a scooter taxi to find accommodation in Mandalay which we had to make about 5 stops but eventually found one. At the hotel there we then booked a tour over to a village town and up to the Pagoda at Mandalay Hill. Scooter taxis hover outside your hotel or they talk to you and say they will be your driver you can organise for them to be there at which ever time you like and they will be there. We found them abit over the top but friendly. We also organised a boat ride up river to Bagan. We were lucky to even get in a hot air balloon ride and bike hire. So to sum it up it is easy to get onward travel in Burma. I didn't see the need to pre-book before hand as plans and times like how we know it in the western world don't mean that much there. With Visa's we got these in Bangkok we arrived in the morning and picked them up in the afternoon. Recommend Burma to anyone people are friendly and helpful..

#5 Posted: 24/11/2012 - 03:53

• Sam007

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2012
    Location United Kingdom

I checked the page mentionedpreviously by member longtail driver and had a look at Dont Worry Just Travel- I also contacted Patrick and despite the time difference I got a quick reply back. Will keep you all updated on our progresswith this travel agent.
    http://www.dontworryjusttravel.com/index.php/en/asiapacific/burmamyanmar/153-possible-tour-guide-for-burma.html

#6 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 05:14

• MrDRISSI

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2013

I would like to share a post that I found recommending a travel guide in Burma. I have, since reading the post sent a couple of e.mails with my requirements to the travel guide at Ovation Travel and the responses so far have been quick and helpful. We are still in the early days of planning out trip but I do find reommendations from other travellers invaluable.
    http://worldoftravel101.blogspot.com/

#7 Posted: 30/4/2013 - 20:48

• TheLeapingL-
    emur

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2012

I can recommend Myanmar Dagon Travel at No.186 on 33rd Street in Yangon. They are next door to Beauty Land 2 on this map.
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204087830747834367024.0004d4cd4291dbc9e9f27&msa=0

Though we've never taken internal flights or actually used them for travel (we use the phone at the hotel we're in to book ahead) I can give them a personal recommendation because of Min Aung.

Min works for Dagon but is also a volunteer English teacher at a local orphanage (Kakunar Welfare Centre) as well as taking time out each year to visit somewhere new in Myanmar and help out at orphanages there teaching English. He's responsive to emails and extremely helpful.

And if you have a little time to visit the centre, he will organise this to fit in with one of his own trips - no charges. Or, take along some books, pencils.... or email him and ask what he can reccommend to be donated.
    Elli xx

Email: minaung203@googlemail.com
    Tel: 09 4211 76 927

#8 Posted: 3/5/2013 - 22:42

• ericgallo

Joined Travelfish
    9th May, 2013

It s true that now everything is expensive in Myanmar.

Last November we decide to book our hotels via a local agent ( Let s go Myanmar). Usually we never book ahead, but after reading the reviews on different forums, we finally did it and I have to say it was a good choice, because all the hotels were full

#9 Posted: 9/5/2013 - 22:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel agents in Trang ... By WonderingTsar on 4 Nov 2013 4 664 4 Nov 2013
Travel agents Chiang Mai ... By jerim on 25 Sep 2008 2 1768 28 Sep 2008
Online Vietnamese Travel Agents ... By cbeers on 9 Mar 2007 1 1922 10 Mar 2007
Vietnamese travel agents please read ... By somtam2000 on 22 Dec 2008 0 3283 4 Aug 2011
Banned Vietnamese travel agents ... By somtam2000 on 24 Jul 2009 3 2204 27 Oct 2009
Laos guides and travel agents ... By L100 on 7 Jul 2013 0 612 7 Jul 2013