Burma forum

No room at the Inn?

• JohnnyM

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2012

Along with seemingly half the travelling world - I was intending going to Burma in November - but haven't booked any accommodation. From what I can gather, all the web bookable hotels are booked up. I understand that Burma has a very limited infrastructure which will take a few years to catch up with current demand.

So, does anyone have an educated view on whether there is much lower range accommodation that just doesn't take advance/internet bookings, or whether Burma really is full up?

So far I've only booked flight to Bangkok - so wondering whether to go to Laos or Vietnam (again) instead and leave Burma to settle down a little - or take a chance & go now before the 7elevens start popping up.

#1 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 02:05

• Advertisement

• Kalli

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2012

Hi JohnnyM,
    November and December are the most popular month for hollidays in Burma. Special around christmas and New Year the beautiful beaches, as Ngapali, are highly frequented. My experience: I always find a nice accomodation - but, sometimes it was a little bit expensive. I dont know what you prefer - I avoid hotels and try to stay in small guesthouses. By the way, I found all beach fronts in Burma rather expensive - but worth to stay there. Down south it is empty and a little bit cheaper.
    On countryside, at the hotspots and in the cities I never had problems to find propper accomodations. The infrastructure is not bad and until today only a few guesthouses have internet.
    Anyway, I travelled around in Burma since 2003 and I love this country and the people. But the things are changing. If you are interessted to feel the traditional Burmese culture, I recommend to visit Burma now - before the big travel- groups are taking over ! No risk, no fun !

#2 Posted: 9/10/2012 - 16:50

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Until recently Yangon was where everyone arrived and departed from. Everyone HAD to pass through Yangon and there simply aren't that many budget guesthouses for foreigners there. A few years ago you could just show up and find a room but that is no longer the case and it's pretty essential to reserve somewhere to sleep in advance now.

Air Asia is just starting flights to Mandalay as well ... so the same thing applies there no doubt. I haven't been to Mandalay since 2005, but back then there weren't all that many budget options there either.

For other places I've always just phoned ahead (my last trip there was last December) but I don't know if that's still going to work this year! Like Kalli said, Myanmar is in imminent danger of losing what made it so unique and special, a culture largely untouched by western influence. On the other hand maybe if you wait a year or two maybe there will be a lot more guesthouses and the transport infrastructure will have improved. Transport already has improved compared to the first time I was there... they even have some fairly OK A/C buses now on some (but not all) of the main tourist routes.

If you do decide to go and can't find a way to book a room in advance, there's a place a few blocks from The Ocean Pearl aptly named Everest (lots and lots of steep stairs) that the Ocean Pearl uses as an overflow place ... eg when they *lose* your booking. You could try there you're really stuck and the alternative is sleeping on the street. It's a total dump and a bit more expensive than the Ocean Pearl to boot, so I'm not recommending it at all but there might be a room available there if everywhere else is full.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

#3 Posted: 10/10/2012 - 13:12

• Kalli

Joined Travelfish
    9th October, 2012

Hi, unfortunately SBE is right. Few minutes ago I talked with a travel agent, and he told me that everybody is going to Burma this year and it is full and full and full.................... So, the idea to wait 2 or 3 years could be an option.

#4 Posted: 11/10/2012 - 11:36

• enigmatic

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2011
    Total reviews: 11

There are a lot of foreigner registered hotels in Yangon that aren't in LP or bookable online though plenty of them will be at the expensive end in the market or not ideally located

I can't see tourist hotspots like Bagan being a big problem either; it's the small and mid-sized towns that only have a couple of hotels (though Hsipaw has plenty of rooms) that will book up.

#5 Posted: 21/10/2012 - 22:43

• loral

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2007
    Location Australia

I am in the same position. I started booking hotels for my itinerary a few months ago and succeeded for Yangon, Bagan, Inle and Kalaw. But those firm bookings commit me to Mandalay for 16-20 November with everything I have contacted booked out.

I can't plan for a different time for Myanmar with those other hotels and flights already booked and the passport sent off for visa. So I am open to advice. If Mandalay is impossible, another option I have looked at is flying to Lashio instead and taking the train back to Hsipaw and Pyin oo Lwin, then a boat to Bagan.

I'll also post on transportation and drivers; that may also hold a solution but I'll ask on that topic.

Cheers, Alan

#6 Posted: 22/10/2012 - 01:01

• JohnnyM

Joined Travelfish
    2nd September, 2012

I had a change of plan and decided to do some Thai Island hopping instead - i've only got a few weeks and want a reasonably hassle free trip (as opposed to if I was travelling for a few months and could just go with the flow) - hopefully i'll get around to going once things have settled down a bit - i'll be interested to hear how thing pan out this season in Burma

#7 Posted: 23/10/2012 - 14:57

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

#8 Posted: 23/10/2012 - 20:34

• loral

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2007
    Location Australia

It is an interesting read. This appears to be part of the problem:

>For visitors without expense accounts, $200 nightly room rates are likely too much, but there's not much else on offer, as rooms at mid-range hotels are also being snatched up by corporate visitors.

#9 Posted: 23/10/2012 - 20:38

• mareeS

Joined Travelfish
    8th December, 2012

We've had a river trip booked with Pandaw for more than a year now, and the pre- and post- hotel nights have almost doubled in price since last November despite a longterm contract between the boat operators and the hotel.

Burma is in carpetbag territory at present, just as was Vietnam in the late 1990s. This all happened in Vietnam back then, and it happened very quickly. When the generals sniff a dollar, move out of the way.

All of the crap that has overtaken the coasts of Bali, Thailand, Malaysia, Cambodia, is headed for Burma in spades, sadly.

#10 Posted: 8/12/2012 - 07:44

• Advertisement

• RubyMarino

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2012

hi

#11 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 03:05

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.