Fri 23/Nov 12 Pindaya car
    Sat 24/Nov 12 Kalaw car
    Sun 25/Nov 12
    Inle Lake car
    Mon 26/Nov 12 Inle Lake
    Tue 27/Nov 12 Inle Lake
    Wed 28/Nov 12 Yangon Air
    Thu 29/Nov 12 Yangon

For the possible flights from Yangon to Mandalay and Heho to Yangon is it necessary to pre-book before I leave Australia or better to see a local travel agent on arrival in Yangon? If I book from here are the airline web-sites reliable or is a Yangon agent better?

For the possible train to Mandalay, can I just roll up at the station the day before to book an upper class seat? I don't want a sleeper. Or do I need to see an agent? Can I rely on hotel staff to do the booking?

For the car with driver journey from Bagan to Inle one way over two nights, will that be simple to arrange while in Bagan? If so, what should I budget for the car and driver? Should I also arrange that in advance through an agent? I have had difficulty reconciling some of the quotes I got a while ago from agents with reports of actual (much lower) costs on forums from past travellers. I know they are extracting what the market will bear at the moment, but $40 a day to $250 a day seems a bit of an excessive jump.

As an alternative way to get accommodation over the booked-out Mandalay section of the trip, might it be better to hire a car and driver for four days and tour the Mandalay, Sagaing, Pyin oo Lwin region asking the driver to help choose accommodation for those four nights?

Thanks in advance for any help. I've delayed asking until now until I sorted out visa uncertainty.

Cheers, Alan

#1 Posted: 22/10/2012 - 01:28

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.