Burma forum

Myanmar, Im coming to ya!

• wheretonext

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2012
    Location Philippines

Hey everyone,

Will be traveling alone to Myanmar this March 25 - April 9. Flying in and out of Yangon from Bangkok (Air asia). Help with the itinerary, transport and all? I wanna see Inle Lake, Bagan & Mandalay mostly. Anything else I could go to or see for 15 days of travel? Mrauk U looks very nice but I don't think I have enough time.

Myanmar seems to be quite harder to get around with its dodgy public transport and stuff, can anyone help me with a rough guide on how to get from one place to the other?

Also looking for people who are going the same time as me! Let's explore this mysterious and beautiful country together! :D

Regards,

Doc

#1 Posted: 25/11/2012 - 06:58

• Advertisement

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Hi Doc,

Yep, I'd stick to your rough itinerary and forget Mrauk U as it would chew up quite a few days.

You can now fly into Rangoon and out from Mandalay with Air Asia to Bangkok so no need to backtrack, maybe you could rearrange your flight to save some precious time.

2 to 3 days would be enough for Rangoon then, Bagan, Inle Lake & Mandalay if you were able to rearrange it.

If you stick to your original DMK-RGN return flights then 2 days max in Rangoon on arrival and do a loop; for example, Bagan, Mandalay, Inle and back to Rangoon.

Have you considered the 3 day, 2 night trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake?

#2 Posted: 2/12/2012 - 07:59

• wombatfuz

Joined Travelfish
    30th December, 2009

Hi Doc,

I am going the same way too around March 2013. Would be nice to have company for parts of the trip.
    Am going the same usual places (Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay, Inle lake) plus a train ride from Mandalay over the Gokteik Viaduct.

#3 Posted: 2/12/2012 - 18:52

• wheretonext

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2012
    Location Philippines

Hi StevieJ,
    I bought the flights out of yangon because they were significantly cheaper than the one in mandalay. The hike from Kalaw to Inle lake sounds nice. So the best route for me would be Yangon - Bagan - Mandalay - Inle - Yangon? I'm not planning to hopping on planes though to save money, just land transport.

Yeah sure thing wombatfuz! That would be awesome. I will be there Mar. 25 - Apr. 9. What is this Gokteik viaduct of which you speak of?

#4 Posted: 2/12/2012 - 20:26

• gup

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2012

Hi,
    Just done a trip in Myanmar (Nov 14 - Nov 29) Yangon - Taungoo - Mandalay - Bagan - Pyay - Ngwe Shaung beach - Yangon. Highly recommend renting Car+Driver. Roads are terrible but it's a once in a lifetime experience. We had to spend very "bumpy" times in the car (up to 6hrs on certain days) but were not bored for a second as you can observe every day life & beautiful landscapes. I realise this is not for single passengers (we were 3)and that a budget is required but again, it was definitely worth it.
    Make sure about hotel-bookings in advance, as even our experienced driver had trouble making bookings by phone for us 2-3 days in advance. Lots of people travel to Myanmar nowadays and there is really a shortage of "budget"-hotels. This was the case in Mandalay and Bagan.

Cheers,
    Gup.

#5 Posted: 17/12/2012 - 05:35

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

Hi, coming to this a bit late but thought I'd throw in my few cents, you can get a very nice, brand new AC bus from Yangon to Mandalay overnight for fairly cheap, about $12. Then I'd really recommend taking the slow boat from Mandalay to Bagan that leaves at 5am I think, twice a week! Guarantee you'll meet people on it since you'll be sitting next to them for 12 hours or so! Plus you stop at some very rural places along the Irrawaddy, I saw some amazing sights with locals unloading supplies on and off the boat, really interesting to see the colourful local life going on. I didn't manage to get across to Inle unfortunately as I didn't have time but I'm not sure if there are options other than flying if you're coming from Bagan... there's a company called Ever Sky Information Service in Nyuang U/Bagan who apparently run some sort of share taxi minibus service so check em out!

Enjoy your trip, Myanmar is a wonderful place! (talk to as many local people as you can, they are very chatty!)

#6 Posted: 21/1/2013 - 19:31

• Howard55

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2013

Be sure in relation to hotel-bookings before hand, since even our knowledgeable new driver acquired trouble generating bookings through cell phone for individuals 3-4 days to weeks before hand. Lots of people am Myanmar presently and there is often a shortage associated with budget hotels.

#7 Posted: 22/1/2013 - 04:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.