Burma forum

Burma - Internal flights

• bananas4baba

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2010

Anyone know if it's possible (if so where) to pre-book an internal flight within Burma before we arrive. We want to fly from Yangon to Myitkyina as soon as possible after we arrive in Yangon. Air Bagan appears to be the company but no booking facility on their website. Thanks.

#1 Posted: 28/11/2012 - 12:09

• Advertisement

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Depending when you want to go you could try www.myanmaairways.aero, I haven't tried them myself but you never know.

Failing that, you'll need to contact a Travel Agent in Burma for assistance.

Good luck

#2 Posted: 29/11/2012 - 18:22

• bananas4baba

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2010

Thanks for taking the time Steviej. I've tried the Travel Agents listed in Lonely Planet. One replied - only to say that Myitkynia is out of bounds to foreigners! If so, that's news to me. Guess we'll have to improvise when we get there and have Plans C and D ready ;-)

#3 Posted: 6/12/2012 - 03:22

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 23

No problem, that's what we're all here for.

Here's another website you could try, it lists travel agencies in Burma (and accommodation).
    http://www.tourismtransparency.org/find-a-business

#4 Posted: 6/12/2012 - 10:58

• bananas4baba

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2010

Thanks Buddhanz - we've amended our plans. Now flying into Mandalay. Will see what we can sort out re. Myitkynia and Bhamo on arrival. May have to take boat/train/bus combination both ways if we can't fly one way. Thanks for taking the time.

#5 Posted: 11/1/2013 - 08:13

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

At this point of time I would be booking any internal flights through a travel agent. Many travel agents in Yangon recommended by people on various websites on the net. I think flights in to Mandalay have only started up in the last 12 months so I'm sure there are travel agent recommendations by people on the net. From what I have read, if you intend to book any flights after arriving in the country don't leave it till the day before. Book your flights through a local travel agent as soon as you can.

#6 Posted: 25/1/2013 - 03:15

• mariajames

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

alone to say that Myitkynia is out of bound to foreigners! If so, that's account to me. Guess we'll accept to ad-lib if we get there

#7 Posted: 5/2/2013 - 03:55

• mariajames

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

only to say that Myitkynia is out of bound to foreigners! If so, that's account to me. Guess we'll accept to ad-lib if we get there and accept Plans

#8 Posted: 13/2/2013 - 10:26

• bananas4baba

Joined Travelfish
    29th March, 2010

We've just returned from Myanmar. Myitkyina is very definiely off-limits to tourists - trouble in the state of Kachin. 'We do not recommend you go there' was the euphemistic way of saying Niet. Neither can you get to Bhamo or Katha/Kyauktada by air, train, road or river. Disappointing for all Orwell fans. Although it wasn't on our schedule Mrauk U was also closed to tourists. It is a good idea to have a Plan B is you are venturing beyond Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Lake Inle. There's plenty of alternatives and 28 days are easily filled.

#9 Posted: 26/2/2013 - 09:20

• mariajames

Joined Travelfish
    29th September, 2012

Now aerial into Mandalay. Will see what we can array out re. Myitkynia and Bhamo on arrival. May accept to yield boat/train/bus aggregate both means if we can't fly one way. Thanks for demography the time.

#10 Posted: 27/2/2013 - 09:21

• Advertisement

• mareeS

Joined Travelfish
    8th December, 2012

Sittwe is also currently out of bounds due to fighting. Go to Malaysian Borneo. Much cheaper than Burma and very beautiful.

#11 Posted: 1/4/2013 - 06:25

• mareeS

Joined Travelfish
    8th December, 2012

One more thing about Burma: Don't rush to get there.

Some people on travel blogs will say it's the most beautiful place in the world. It's certainly lovely, buddhism & all, but not the most lovely, compared to elsewhere in Asia.

Burma at present is similar to Asia when we were first there in the 1960s, with deep and smelly monny drains and dangerous footpaths and shocking roads that take you hours to cover a mile.

There's a bit of progress in Rangoon recently, colonial buildings being restored, but the place has a long way to go.
    Koreans and Chinese are in like Flynn. Prices are going rampant.

Don't rush to visit. Vietnam is far nicer.

#12 Posted: 1/4/2013 - 06:44

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

nicholasnorman has provided visitmm as an online provider for airline bookings. To my knowledge there is now one other being oway.com.mm. oway responded to my email enquiry within 24 hours. From what I have read both these providers facilitate payment via credit card and issue E-tickets.

#13 Posted: 25/12/2013 - 04:05

• annalouisas

Joined Travelfish
    19th December, 2007
    Total reviews: 6

Oway is definitely a good online-agency! we booked our domestic tickets last week and got prompt answers on the several mails we wrote. the payment went flawless.

another reliable agency - with offices all trough Myanmar is "Seven Diamond Travel Agency: www.sevendiamondtravels.com. friendly people, like al lover Burma.

and for any traveller who wishes a good guide (speaks English and a little French) i can recommend a lady we saw at work last year around Mandalay and up north: MYA MYAT SINT,
    her email address is myamyatsint@gmail.com

#14 Posted: 8/1/2014 - 08:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Internal Flights ... By Neilk61 on 13 Oct 2011 1 1049 14 Oct 2011
Internal flights? ... By tsargood on 10 Apr 2006 1 1489 11 Apr 2006
internal flights in Cambodia? ... By dazm26 on 22 Nov 2007 1 1811 23 Nov 2007
Internal Flights - prebook or wait till we get there? ... By drutherford on 8 Feb 2007 3 2395 15 Feb 2007
Short notice booking of internal flights and hotels ... By laallee on 16 May 2009 5 1954 18 May 2009