Transport for Mandalay-Bagan in August

• reublim

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2013
    Location Malaysia
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hello,

I'm planning a 9 or 10 day trip to Mandalay and Bagan via Yangon. I intend to go to these places as these would be the driest during August. I have some questions.

1. From Mandalay to Bagan, I hope to take a river boat. I'm partial to the slow ferry, but wouldn't like it's uncertainty and likelihood of breaking down. What are the options available in July, and which would you recommend?

2. Depending on what is my exit strategy, I will either travel from Bagan to:

a) Yangon by bus? Is this advisable during the rainy season, safety, prices, night buses?

b) Mandalay by bus?

c) Mandalay by flight? I'm trying to reduce the number of internal flights as they are quite costly.

Thanks in advance for your comments and help!

#1 Posted: 5/1/2013 - 23:24

• Advertisement

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Hi Reublim,

Not sure where you're from but Air Asia do flights to Yangon and Mandalay from/to Bangkok so ideally you could fly into Mandalay and depart from Yangon or vice versa.

Malikha is a company that do the Mandalay to Bagan/Bagan to Mandalay river cruise and as far as I'm aware run all year but it would probably be better to travel downstream during the rainy season.

As for moving on from Bagan, you could probably get a flight to Yangon for something in the region of US$100.

A rough itinerary could look like this:

Air Asia flight: Bangkok-Mandalay
    3 Days Mandalay
    Boat to Bagan
    4 Days Bagan
    Flight to Yangon
    2 Days Yangon
    Flight to Bangkok.

#2 Posted: 6/1/2013 - 11:50

• reublim

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2013
    Location Malaysia
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Thanks steviej!

That looks about how my current itinerary is. Yes, I know that there are flights for Bagan to Yangon, but the price is pretty steep, and the local carriers don't have their schedules out yet. That was why I wanted some cheaper form of transport. Would Yangon be fine to visit that period of the year?

#3 Posted: 6/1/2013 - 16:04

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 32

Just realised your from Malaysia.

Mmm, according to one website, there's just over 500mm of rain for August so you may need a 'brolly'.

I suppose you could concentrate on Bagan and the Mandalay Area and skip Yangon.

Bagan to Mandalay by road/rail would take some 7 to 8 hrs. A flight would be around US$65 but as you say there's no schedule as yet.

#4 Posted: 6/1/2013 - 16:29

• reublim

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2013
    Location Malaysia
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Yup, but am now based in Singapore. So considering Singapore-Bangkok-Mandalay flight and Yangon-Singapore. It's just getting from Bagan to Yangon in August that I'm worried about as Lonely Planet says "The southwest monsoon starts between mid-May and mid-June, bringing frequent rains that dunk the country through till October, peaking from July to September. The dry zone (between Mandalay and Pyay) gets the least rain, though roads anywhere (and particularly in the delta region) can become impassable.

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/myanmar-burma/weather#ixzz2HFG6Q3o3".

Thanks for your help!

#5 Posted: 6/1/2013 - 18:31

• travelwithme

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2013

Well lonelyplanet have all the destination details and it provides really good info.

#6 Posted: 9/1/2013 - 04:14

• reublim

Joined Travelfish
    5th January, 2013
    Location Malaysia
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Yes but it doesn't have the information I need about traveling from Bagan to Yangon during the rainy season.

#7 Posted: 9/1/2013 - 05:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mandalay to Bagan to Inle Lake ... By igormozzilli on 6 Feb 2014 9 7002 16 Jun 2014
Yangon to Bagan/Mandalay night bus ... By aik_yong2002 on 20 Aug 2013 1 4885 27 Aug 2013
Bagan to Mandalay Overnight Travel ... By reublim on 2 Jun 2013 10 2872 10 Jun 2013
Express Boat from Bagan to Mandalay ... By grak88 on 19 Mar 2012 1 2212 30 Mar 2012
Opinions on tourist boat from Bagan to Mandalay? ... By antoniamitchell on 27 Apr 2014 4 1426 4 May 2014
Heading North, finishing in Mandalay. Bagan or Inle Lake first? ... By mitchwest on 17 Sep 2013 2 1305 19 Sep 2013
Cheap Hostels in Myanmar? (Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake) ... By Spasmic on 12 Jan 2014 1 1722 12 Jan 2014