Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Burma forum

Burma travel FAQ

Posted by somtam2000 on 9/1/2013 at 21:12 admin

This is a (very much work in progress!) collection of links to useful threads in the Burma section of the forum along with other parts of the site. We'll update it as more interesting or useful stuff appears. Currently there is no destination guide for Burma on Travelfish. If you know of another interesting resource worth adding, please mention it in the comments.

Burma or Myanmar?
Here at Travelfish we use Burma rather than Myanmar as does Aung San Suu Kyi, but there are many takes on it. Here's one by the BBC and another by The Guardian while Wikipedia has a good and quite detailed take on it.

Visas
Getting a visa for Burma in London, UK
Getting a visa for Burma in Canberra, Australia
Getting a visa for Burma in Vientiane, Laos
Getting a visa for Burma in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Getting a visa for Burma in Bangkok
Getting a visa for Burma in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Getting a visa for Burma in Singapore
Burma visa on arrival are not for tourists (in most cases)

Burmese embassies overseas
It's tricky to find official embassy websites for Burma - be wary of travel and visa agents masquerading as embassy sites. The Burmese MFA has a full list of addresses, but no website URLs.
Burma MFA listing of overseas missions
Burmese embassy, Washington, USA
Burmese embassy, Singapore
Burmese embassy, Canberra, Australia

Predeparture
Burma: Know before you go
Advice on mix of money to take
Take Euros or USD to Burma?
How expensive is Burma?
Eating in Burma

Transport
Getting around the city
Booking internal flights in Burma

Airlines
Air Bagan
Myanmar Airways International
Myanma Airways

Trip reports
December 2012
Discussion of a 25-day Burma itinerary
Podcast

News resources
The Irrawaddy

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/2/2013 at 19:47 admin

Here is a solid post on how the Burma Visa on Arrival has a ways to go before it is going to be useful for mainstream travellers without a "business invitation".

Looks like an embassy trip remains the norm for now.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,498
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by erikssc on 26/5/2013 at 12:21

I have made a video from my one week trip to Myanmar covering Bagan, Inle Lake and Yangon. I have tried to make it as informative as possible for first-timers to the country. It covers what you can typically do in a 7-10 day trip:

My video "One Week in Myanmar": http://youtu.be/-isgplZXqxU

Erik

#3 erikssc has been a member since 26/5/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by devinet on 16/10/2013 at 11:51

My husband and I were planning to travel to Myanmar this November and are now concerned about safety after the recent bombings throughout the country, specifically Yangon. We're considering canceling our trip which is unfortunate but we don't want to take the risk. Before we do move forward with canceling I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts/opinions about this? I appreciate your help.

#4 devinet has been a member since 16/10/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by chengywong83 on 14/9/2014 at 19:35

Hi,
I recently traveled to Burma and we spent 11 days there. And here's the route we took starting from Yangon - Bagan - Mandalay - Amarapura - Sagaing - Innwa (Ava) - Inle Lake - Taunggyi - and finally back to Yangon/Rangoon.

We arrived Yangon on the 1st day. As soon as we arrived, we took the night bus to Bagan. . The journey took us about 8-9 hours. There's not much to see in Yangon, so perhaps I think spending 1-2 days is more than sufficient. I highly recommend you to spend more days in Bagan of course and Inle Lake /Nyaung Shwe and Mandalay of course covering Inwa (Ava) and Sagaing which is out of town as well. The journey in between Bagan - Mandalay - Inle Lake can be reached via afternoon/night buses which will help you save a bit on accomodation (if u are a budget traveler). I've recently blogged about it, you may check out the site for a more detailed itinerary of mine.

Happy Planning and do let me know if you need any further details.

#5 chengywong83 has been a member since 1/8/2014. Posts: 11
 Website 

Posted by sunlvr on 18/3/2015 at 17:03

So much has changed with Burma since this sticky was originally posted. It would be great if the links could be updated to the current information. Thanks!

#6 sunlvr has been a member since 7/8/2014. Posts: 37

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.