Burma forum

2 Week Itinerary

• lifeisadream

Joined Travelfish
    11th January, 2013

Hi there,

I am trying to plan a 14 day trip to Burma and need help to work out if I am tyring to squeeze too much into a short amount of time.

We will be flying from London to Bangkok in which we lose a day and technically land in Bangkok on day two. So our itinerary would look like this...

Day 1 - Flight to Bangkok
    Day 2- Explore Bangkok
    Day 3- Fly Bangkok to Yangon
    Day 4- Yangon
    Day 5- Bagan
    Day 6- Bagan
    Day 7- Bagan
    Day 8- Mandalay
    Day 9- Mandalay
    Day 10- Inle Lake
    Day 11- Inle Lake
    Day 12- Ngapali Beach
    Day 13- Ngaplai Beach
    Day 14- Back to Yangon to return to Bangkok the next day and then onto London

I am struggling to find much information on buses (this would be our preferred mode of transport, due to price) and therefore I am not sure if this route would be possible or if all our holiday time would be on a bus.

Any suggestions, comments or advice would be great.

Thanks.

Katie

#1 Posted: 11/1/2013 - 05:19

• Advertisement

• steviej

Joined Travelfish
    18th March, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 23

That's a lot to do, travelling only by bus, especially day 11 to 14, you may well take up 2 to 3 days just getting from one place to another. You could do it if you flew Heho (Inle Lake) to Ngapali and then flew from there to Yangon but it's still stretching it a bit.

For 14 days, I'd personally skip Ngapali and divide my time around the 'Big 4'. Less is More, as they say. Also, Air Asia now fly to/from Mandalay as well as Yangon so you could fly into Mandalay say, and make your way over land down to Yangon and fly back to Bangkok from there. Please be aware that Air Asia now fly into Burma from DMK airport in Bangkok.

When do you hope to go?

#2 Posted: 14/1/2013 - 05:47

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

As your only staying in Bangkok 1 day I'm assuming you have applied for your visa in England.

I've read there are day & night buses from Yangon to Bagan. I've only read night bus having reclining seats so sleeper buses will probably be in the future. I've made note of this website - ananda-travel.com/UK/myanmar_bus_fares_uk.htm - might be helpful. Get your Yangon accom. to book your bus ticket from Yangon to Bagan (as the bus station is outside of Yangon).

My future itinerary (probably 2-3 years away) is similar to yours except Ngapali Beach ( I cut this out mainly because of the transport/time requirements).

Bagan to Mandalay can be done by direct bus. Again get your Bagan accom. to book your ticket.

I've read of an overnight bus from Mandalay to Kalaw departing 1600 arriving 0200 (ensure accom. in Kalaw is bked & will open) OR share taxi (7hrs) – letaccom. in Mandalay know & they will ring around & let you know.If you bus it then you can take the early morning train or a bus to to SchweNyaung. Then share minivan (11kms) to NyaungSchwe ( Inle Lake).

Please bear in mind that the info I have provided is only from searching on the internet ie travel forums, travel blogs.com etc

I would not be worrying about the cost of bus tickets as it is the cheapest way you are going to travel within Burma.

#3 Posted: 18/1/2013 - 04:13

• alfredm

Joined Travelfish
    6th January, 2013

We did a two weeks trip in 2002 covering the major sites. See my trip report:
    http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Myanmar/2002/

and the photos:
    http://www.molon.de/galleries/Myanmar/

We had a car+driver which greatly simplified everything, since the driver knew all places and we were totally flexible.

I would also take out the beach stop, because you have little time and Myanmar has so much else to offer.

#4 Posted: 19/1/2013 - 03:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.